Friday, April 28, 2006



A LIGHTER NOTE

You know how people are always letting you down? How they are always dull and unappreciative and generally come up short in every conceivable way?

Well, I could be the poster-person for people.

I am always letting everyone down.

I let my ex-husband down: "It's not you, it's me."

And my ex-girlfriend: "It's not me, it's you."

And my best friend: "We could go do something fun, but that would cut in to my sulking time."

And my students: "We could talk about your grade, but that's not really what my office hours are for; they're for blogging."

And my dogs: "We could go to the dog park and sniff some new ass, but wouldn't you rather just sniff my old ass right here at home?"

And my neighbors: "I don't know why that refrigerator is still on my porch. The guy said he was coming to get it."

I could make a two-page list of people I've let down just this week. It would run the gamut from my boss to the grocery sacker at Dillons. It would include the janitor who empties the trash in my office: "You know, there's a recycling bin for white office paper." She may just as well have said, "Trees are dying for you people with desk jobs and you can't even walk 20 feet to the recycling bin."

Small let-downs. Big let-downs. A disappointed look in someone's eye is a disappointed look in someone's eye, whether it lasts a millisecond or decades. It's all the same. Experience, In my experience, is just a spectrum of disappointment.

The other day I let my mom down. And I didn't just let her down. I let her down in exactly the same way I did 25 years ago. It's amazing how you think you've grown up and become your own person and in the blink of an eye — blink! — a quarter of a century disappears. And you are a kid again, emotionally naked, at your mother's mercy, locked in her gaze — letting her down.

It all started with a simple question: What happened to your hair?

What do you mean? I say, hardly looking up from the People magazine I'm reading at her kitchen table.

It's shorter here, she says, pulling at my front locks.

I don't know, I say.

And I really don't know. Why would my hair be shorter? I didn't cut it. I didn't get it caught in the car door. I didn't lose a fight with the dogs. I run my fingers through it. Oh, she's right; it is shorter. What the heck? Then I realize, with a clammy, trapped feeling: I must have singed it with a cigarette lighter while I was smoking — the other day on my porch, when I was all wound up about work and puffing away like Bette Davis in "Now, Voyager."

I remember singeing my hair a few times in junior high and high school. Damn adjustable flames. Staring down at a picture of Tom Cruise, I have a speed-of-light flashback to a certain incident in eighth grade. It involved one other girl, two boys, a pint of Southern Comfort, a couple cans of Pepsi and a pack of Kools. Do the math and you get a hangover, a hickey and charred bangs.

I look up from the magazine and see that my mom is having the exact same flashback. We eye each other furtively but say nothing. I bask in silent guilt for a minute; she basks in silent judgment. I am 39 years old and my mom has caught me smoking. Where do we go from here?

What to say?

She certainly didn't say much 25 years ago. She didn't have to. She could just rely on a liquid, wounded stare and an implication that I was breaking her heart. No amount of accusations or recriminations could make me feel worse than that look. She gives it to me now. And it's just as effective. I want to fall to her feet and say, "Please don't hate me. I'll never do it again. Please, Mommy."

But of course I don't. I didn't then and I don't now. This is one of those situations where acknowledging a wrongdoing would only make it worse; it would make the wrongdoing more real, more out in the open, more to be reckoned with. No, this is strictly a don't-ask-don't-tell situation. My childhood was rife with those.

She won't ask what evil I've been up to. And I won't tell. We'll just dance around it clumsily until we achieve an awkward understanding: I won't be a bad girl anymore.

But if I could tell, I'd say this: I am not a smoker. Smoking is for losers. But sometimes I'm a loser, Mom. I smoke when I am incredibly stressed out or sad — when life seems unbearably long — or when I am incredibly happy — when life seems unbearably short. When life seems just right — when it's lifelike — I feel no need to be in control of my own demise, either to hasten or forestall it. Would that make sense to a mom? It's hard for me to judge, because if my kid smoked I'd just beat the living crap out of her.

41 Comments:

At 4:19 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Please, don't start talking about letting people down. I'll have to start a list myself.

Just don't let Mabel and Rupert down, okay? Or yourself.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger kc said...

I already let Rupert down. I wouldn't let him eat Mabel's puke off the dining room floor.

I made him use a plate.

And I let Mabel down, too. I wouldn't let her in bed this morning because she had mud up to her elbows.

I'm not very whatever.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

You ought to have casually said, “So Mom, have you ever tried smoking opium? It is very tasty, but watch your hair.”

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, dude, that's a good idea.

I've never smoked opium. But I do love lemon poppyseed scones. Very tasty. Almost druglike.

Remember that scene in Woody Allen's "Alice" where Mia Farrow goes to the opium den? That movie rules. I really wanted to be her.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

That was a good scene.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger george said...

Tell you to see "Thank You For Smoking" before judging.

Or tell her you smoke cigars. If my mom or sister get a whiff of me smoking cigarettes, they go ballistic. But if I tell them I'm getting a cigar, it's cool. Weird.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger kc said...

I think a lot of people see cigars and think virility, power, sophistication.

Personally, when I see Tony Soprano pulling on a Cuban plumper I wonder how he can, in good conscience, make fun of Vito for being gay.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger george said...

Actually, he's the only one defending Vito, actually sympathizing.

Hmmm ... I think you're on to something.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger kc said...

Well, yeah, in a chorus of death threats, I guess Tony's stance might seem sympathetic by comparison. I think Tony would like a don't-ask-don't-tell policy — like Bill Clinton, he values political expedience.

Speaking of, don't you think one of those vociferous homophobes will turn out to be homo? The show is getting a little heavy-handed with its literary and political messages.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

OK, I give up. Once again I cannot get the HTML to post even though it looks right on the preview screen. Gotta love to hate computers.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger kc said...

Just so you know, DW, I'm a blueberry.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Oh? So did the link actually post? It looked just the way I wanted in the preview window, but then when I did the actual post, the bit of text that I wanted to link seemed to vanish and the time stamp at the bottom got linked instead.

Anyway, what did you see?

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger george said...

If any of the crew turns out to be gay, it's gotta be Paulie. He already had a weird relationship with his mother, but now the he has found out she isn't his mom after all ...

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, Paulie is violently anti-gay. So's the dude with the white hair and the dude who got Vito's beat. Have they ever shown Paulie with a woman? Does he have a goomah?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger george said...

Paulie has no goomah because he never married. He's fooled around with Russian prostitutes and he had a Latina girlfriend once (played by Judt Reyes from "Scrubs," another great show). She's the one who told him to go to a psychic when Christopher had his purgatory/hell vision after getting shot in season two.

Paulie's also the only one in Tony's family to have spent significant time behind bars (season five). And last episode, Tony mentions that homosexuality's accepted when you're in prison.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, the "prison exception" is hilarious.

Paulie seemed ESPECIALLY revolted when he found out that Vito was "catching," not pitching. Presumably, even in prison, a real man would only pitch.

And real men don't pleasure women. Remember when Junior's girlfriend blabbed that he was good at oral sex? He violently dumped her. His masculinity was so wounded.

Sex in the Sopranos is AWFUL. But probably true to life.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger george said...

"Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this."

Best line of the whole show.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger kc said...

Great Scott! Please refrain from using the c-word on my blog. I'm from Philadelphia. We believe in God. (best line in "Manhattan")

When did they say that on the show? I don't remember that! That sounds like something you made up.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger george said...

It was in the first season not long after Junior dumped his girlfriend. Here's the full quote, from IMDB:

"Uncle Junior and I, we had our problems with the Business. But I never should have razzed him about eating pussy. This whole war could have been averted. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this."

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger kc said...

And now the p-word! What do you think this is, a bordello?

I'm going to have to rename this blog "Brothels Without Mirrors."

(it is a good quote, though)

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger george said...

I'm holding your blog up to the standards of the J-W Pulse section.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger kc said...

"News Without Judgment."

That would be an awesome blog.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger george said...

Oh, the stories we could tell. Heck, you should check out the front page four-column ad we have for tomorrow's paper.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger george said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is "singeing."

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger kc said...

God, you're right, anonymous. I'm mortified. I'll make it "singeing" right now. Thank you! (I hope you're not one of my students.)

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No probelm.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger cl said...

Best dialogue of "Manhattan":

"So what do you do, Tracy?"

"I go to high school."

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I let my cat down yesterday. She's diabetic, meaning that she's extra thirsty all the time. Before I left for work yesterday, I emptied her water bowl as usual but then forgot to refill it. I've never seen her drink from the toilet; not even sure she knows how. Needless to say, when I got home last night, I had a very thirsty girl on my hands, and I felt horrible.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl, "Manhattan" is my favorite movie. I love Tracy.

Another good line from that: (Woody Allen to Meryl Streep): "Of the two of us, I was not the immoral, psychotic, promiscuous one."

And:

Isaac: I got a kid, he's being raised by two women at the moment.
Mary Wilke: Oh, y'know, I mean I think that works. Uh, they made some studies, I read in one of the psychoanalytic quarterlies. You don't need a male, I mean. Two mothers are absolutely fine.
Isaac Davis: Really? Because I always feel very few people survive one mother.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger kc said...

Sharon! Yay!

You are the most awesome pet owner in the world. I've never met anyone more devoted to animals. It's a measure of your awesomeness that you slip up just once and feel horrible.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Gonna try the link thing again:

They're not even pets.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Good, it worked. Maybe I had unmatched quotes before.

Anybody knit?

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Who would've thought fairy penguins would have such great fashion sense?

I knitted in the second grade.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger kc said...

I found this info on a kid site: "Fairy penguins are very loud penguins. Sometimes they nest under houses and bother the people at night with all the noise. They can make many sounds like: barking, growling, hissing, mooing, quacking, screaming, sneezing, and even meowing like a cat."

I have a sweater I haven't finished knitting. It would probably fit an emperor penguin.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Good, the next times the cops are called out for one of our wild parties I'll just say it's the fairy penguins that are making all the noise, and would you like to knit them a sweater?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home