Thursday, August 07, 2008

SHAKESPEARE UPDATE


I'm about two-thirds of the way through my Shakespeare expedition — 26 of 38 plays. I kind of thought I'd be done by now, but reading more than three dozen Shakespeare plays in a row is a little more challenging than I expected. I had to take in some secondary materials along the way: biographies, notes on British history, stuff for context, plus several non-Shakespeare-related books just for variety, most notably a fat and amazing bio of Oscar Wilde (incidentally, a Shakespeare devotee).

I started this in March, maybe late February, so I've averaged more than a play a week, which I think is a decent pace. Shakespeare can be slow-going. You run into hurdle-words like "bullyrook" (jolly comrade) and "hodge-pudding" (sausage) and "cockshut" (evening twilight). I've been reading Folger editions because they are so nicely annotated (notes on left page, play on right); they usually anticipate a modern reader's curiosity with a helpful explanation, but occasionally they're aggravatingly silent, like we should just be able to figure out some obscure 16th century expression from context. I'm proud to say, though, that I am relying less and less on the notes because of familiarity through repetition — like I no longer have to stop and look up "welkin." It means "sky." And any and every "horn" reference, either direct or oblique, has either the primary or double meaning of "cuckold." I'm also becoming familiar with Shakespeare's staple mythological references (Diana, Phoebus and Hercules are quite common) and the cadence of his phrasing.

One thing I've noticed about the Folger editions is that they tend to be prudish. Shakespeare is full of sexual puns and homoeroticism, and Folger is usually content to note only that a "bawdy" meaning is intended; it doesn't normally detail the bawdiness. So you have to find another source or be satisfied with vagueness or just guess and, in all cases, feel a little stupid.

So here's the rundown. The ones in bold I have read in the last few months. The unbolded ones are on deck. The plays appear in the rough order that some scholars think they were written, although no one really knows for sure.

The Two Gentlemen of Verona

The Taming of the Shrew

Titus Andronicus

Henry VI Part 1

Henry VI Part 2

Henry VI Part 3

Richard III

The Comedy of Errors

Love's Labour's Lost

Romeo and Juliet

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Richard II

King John

The Merchant of Venice

Henry IV Part 1

Henry IV Part 2

The Merry Wives of Windsor

Much Ado About Nothing

Henry V

Julius Caesar

As You Like It

Hamlet

Twelfth Night

Troilus and Cressida

Measure for Measure

Othello

All's Well That Ends Well

Timon of Athens

King Lear

Macbeth

Antony and Cleopatra

Pericles

Coriolanus

Cymbeline

The Winter's Tale

The Tempest

Henry VIII (All Is True)

The Two Noble Kinsmen

10 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I am so impressed!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thanks! (It's really not impressive)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Very good. So is Lear still tops?

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger kc said...

Definitely. "Lear" is the gold standard. I keep wanting to dive back into it, and also "Midsummer Night's Dream," which is another kind of magic altogether. But my rule is to finish them all before I can revisit.

I've made "Othello" last on my list, so I can go out on a major tragedy.

DW, you mentioned you had a copy of "Measure for Measure." If you still want to read along, I can do that one soon.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger driftwood said...

I think I might prefer “Othello” to “Lear”, but not by much. Where do you put “Hamlet”? “Hamlet” seems to me that it would be a favorite among theater people.

It looks like my brother got rid of “Measure for Measure” while packing up to move. I don’t know if there is going to be anything left to move—I couldn’t find a thumbtack the other day since he had gotten rid of those too.

If you want to read “Midsummer Night’s Dream” again when you have finished them all, let me know. I saw it performed once, but I haven’t read it. You can be my online Shakespeare expert.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I once was in a production of Midsummer Night's Dream. I don't even remember what role I played.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger kc said...

You were probably Bottom, Ben.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger kc said...

Where do I put "Hamlet"? Hmmm. Well, it's Hamlet. And I'm just a doofus. So I can't answer that, really. I just know it's not my personal favorite. I am not so big on "Romeo and Juliet" either. I just don't really get it, like I get "Lear." I love Juliet's speeches, though. But what does she see in Romeo? I mean, in the first act he is in love with someone else. Whatever. As Shakespeare's love stories go, I am all about "Antony and Cleopatra" and "Much Ado About Nothing." Even Portia's story in "Merchant of Venice" inspires me more than R&J.

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger kc said...

OK, sorry, Ben. But you set yourself up for the most exquisite insult. Bottom is the dude who gets turned into an ass by the fairies!


HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAH!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Toby was Bottom!

I think I was Tom Snout. The Wall!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home