Saturday, March 28, 2009

SWEET LITTLE LIES


I was at Half Price Books just now looking for Alice McDermott's "At Weddings and Wakes" (They had it. Yay!), and I overheard this conversation between a guy and his daughter, who appeared to be about 4.

Girl: Dad.

(silence)

Girl: (louder) Dad.

Guy: What is it?

Girl: Mom just got mad at me.

Guy: She did? (with a soothing tone of complete indifference)

Girl: Yeah. Really mad.

Guy: Why did Mom get mad?

Girl: I dunno.

Guy: What did you do?

Girl: I dunno.

Guy: She just got mad for no reason?

Girl: It looks that way.

(At what age does lying go from being cute and precocious to vile and manipulative?)

3 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Sharon said...

That's hilarious. Reminds me of those cheesy Family Circus cartoons where you see the little ghost kid named Not Me.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger kc said...

Oh no! You're saying my sense of humor is like the Family Circus guy's?!

Hehe.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Sharon said...

No, I'm not comparing you to the Family Circus dude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home