Thursday, March 23, 2006

I FEEL NAKED WITH LIPSTICK

Rock-climbing Ricky says my blog needs some dog pictures. He has mentioned this twice now: once in writing ("I know what your blog needs: dog pictures.") and once in a follow-up conversation ("Did you post any dog pictures yet?").

I ignored him both times.

His deal is that my blog is too plain, too much of a template. I need an explanation of the blog's title at the top of the page, he says, and I need to customize it, add some pizazz, some lipstick, powder its nose, make it mine.

But I like things plain. My clothes, my house, my car, my life, my personality, my blog. The plainer the better. Plain as in "free from superficial embellishment." I'm not Amish or anything. Just very boring. And I don't like to dust around a bunch of knickknacks. And I don't like "accessories," like jewelry and scarves and belts and purses and such. The only accessorizing I do is occasionally I'll match my bra to my underwear, but only if I think someone might see them both at the same time.

I did try to put a picture of plain-spoken Benjie on this blog, from New Year's, but it kept crashing my computer. So I gave up. I wasn't doing it to dress up my blog really, but to watch Benjie look in the mirror, as it were. He would have said stuff like, "Why did you pick THAT picture? Oh my gosh, my hair was not cute AT ALL that day." or "My nostrils look like canyons." or "Do you think my eyes are more aqua or teal in this light?" or "God, I looked SO AWESOME that night." It's not that he's vainer than anyone else, he's just more honest; he's not vain about his own vanity. If he had a facelift, he'd proudly show off his puffy bruises and bandages and gloat about how handsome he was about to be — unlike a former co-worker who tried to explain away the black-and-blue and newfound tightness by saying she had some sort of "brain thing" and just woke up that way. But Benjie would never get a facelift. He's going to grow old gracefully with me (although I'll continue to dye my hair pink and lie about my age, and Benjie will continue to wear shoes made for 20-year-old lesbians). We'll have adjacent rooms in the Newton Nursing Home, where his wife, Erin, will come feed us twice a day and settle disputes over word pronunciation.

Ben and Erin, if you haven't gathered, are two of my main niggas. (I'm picking up some new vocabulary listening to Wu-Tang Clan. Including the phrase "Survey says: You dead," which is something you'd say to a nigga you're about to pop. It's an expression that relies — brilliantly — on "Family Feud" for its poetry).

So, anyway, there's the issue of I don't know how to post a picture.

Then there's the issue of I don't know whether Ricky was serious about the dog pictures. As I was looking at some dog pictures, it dawned on me that perhaps he was being facetious, as in "What this car really needs is a yellow magnetic ribbon that says 'Support our Troops.'"

So I really need to sort out what he was getting at, and then, if he was serious, maybe he could come over and show me how to post a picture of a dog.

I need a nickname for Ricky. The Last Marxist is perfect, except it's already taken, and Marx seems too conservative for my little rock rat. So I've settled upon The Last Feminist — with a nod to Katha Pollitt, of course. Or wait. Last Feminista. That's better. More revolutionary sounding. Like SANDINISTA! Or ZAPATISTA! Or FASHIONISTA! FEMINISTA! And it's so fitting. The man does not have a sexist bone in his body. I kid you not. I say and think more disparaging things about women in a single day than he has said or thought his whole life.

What I'd really like to do is get some mirrors for this blog. And sometimes they'd be there and sometimes they wouldn't.

11 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of looks, my hair is acting funny since I got it trimmed yesterday. Or maybe it's that I switched back to the cheap conditioner. (I was tired of the Watermelon Bubble Yum scented Aussie crap that made my scalp itch.) With how much I use, we'll save thousands a year by buying the Suave.

Oh, and I hope you know that I love my nose. Yeah, the nostrils are huge, but it's a really nice nose, don't you think? And there's something to be said for a nose with a 7-quarter capacity. But wash the quarters before (and after) stuffing them in there---they smell terrible.

I don't know how much I like the feminista. What's so great about women, anyway? Just kidding, of course. Men are the ones I don't like. Unless they happen to sing with me.

I hope my giant present is plain enough for you. And I hope it isn't busted by the time I give it to you. It's in the trunk of my car now. I'm telling you, it's really big. I probably shouldn't have told you I got it for free. That kinda makes it not as good of a present. But I can't help telling you everything.

I should start a blog so I don't have to waste so much of your comment space talking about myself. Oh, well.

You dye your hair pink? I just thought that was a symptom of some weird disease you have. (Or maybe it comes from all the pink lighting at our houses.) Thank goodness you're okay!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger cl said...

kc: I'll show you how to post a pic.

ben: I love your comments, but also, you need a blog. More Ben on more stations.

Also, for some reason, the features department was talking about singing and we recalled how you sang for Erin on Valentine's Day and how that was really cool. I don't think I was there that afternoon, but the legend lives on.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger cl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On Ben's lack of vanity about his vanity:

About a year ago, Ben was describing to me why he thought he should get braces. "You see, I'm coming to a point in my life," he said, "where I'm becoming very handsome. And having perfect teeth would really seal the deal."

Christy, you missed the singing Valentine, too? Now that was a spectacle. Kim, you should post a picture of THAT on your blog.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, also! I concur with Rick on this one. I usually like my stuff to be plain, too, but I also like it to be very, very unique.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger kc said...

Ben,

Like Dar Williams, I've never had a way with women. But I do know this: Telling a woman that her hair color makes you think she has a disease will get you nowhere.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl,

Perhaps you should come to dinner with me and The Last Feminista. And we can consult about the picture issue. I'm not sold on the dog picture thing, but I have some other ideas.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger kc said...

erin, I will try to be more unique.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to kc: Go ahead and apply yesterday's unnecessary apology to today's unwitting insult. And, for the next time, I'm very sorry. I seem to have occasional lapses in judgment. On occasion.

to kc and erin: I thought unique couldn't be modified. Or were you trying to be funny, Erin?

to cl: "More Ben on more stations" is the nicest thing I've heard in a while. And Erin and KC say some very nice things. I'm trying to decide what to call my blog. Maybe "The House Husband," since my last day as an attorney will be a week from today.

to everyone: In my defense, the "becoming more handsome" comment was made forty pounds ago. If I lost some weight, I'd be handsome again. Like Rupert!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

No, what your car needs is a bumper sticker that says “When the Rapture comes you will wish you had Jesus stickers on your car”. Far better would be to have two such stickers just to get the point across. Some people are dense.

In my book, plain is not the same as generic or prefab. But this is your blog and not my book. Now the mirrors would be wonderful if they were truly mirrors. Maybe you could have a caption: Ce n’st pas un miroir.

I always thought highly of the Sandinistas and still wonder sometime how things would have turned out if the United States hadn’t sponsored a terrorist organization to try and bring them down. But I never cared for Marx’s theory, just his early observational writing. So, yeah, maybe you are on the right track. Is that going to be my superhero persona? And do I get a costume? Anything but a cape--I saw “The Incredibles”.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Good! I can make typos in more than one language. Bet I could really do a number on Russian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home