Monday, March 30, 2009

WORKING WITH THE ENEMY


Sometimes you overhear conversations that make you laugh, as in my last post, and sometimes you overhear conversations that make you want to cry, as in the one I overheard just now at work.

I don't work at a liberal or highbrow think tank by any means, but I usually assume a certain level of enlightenment and decency among my co-workers. I usually assume it is a safe and tolerable place to be gay.

Then someone casually lobs a staggeringly homophobic remark into the open, and — even more staggering — it is received with warm approbation.

I didn't hear the whole conversation because it took place on another floor among people I mostly know only by name. I could just hear voices coming over the balcony, some of which I could put faces to and some of which I couldn't. The gist of the conversation was that these guys were trying to figure out where to have dinner. One of them was naming restaurants, and when he got to a certain restaurant, another guy said "No! No way!" And the other guy said, "Why? Did you get some bad food?" And the guy just answered, "Never again!" Then a third guy, someone I actually know, said, "He got hit on there." Long pause, in which I could imagine the other guys thinking, "Awesome! He got hit on! What's the problem?" Then the guy I know continued: "By a guy."

Then followed a display of repulsion. Well, yeah, of course we won't go there now. We'd probably be anally raped as soon as we walked in the door. Whew! Dodged a bullet.

You would have thought the guy had said he was served a burrito filled with vomit, instead of that someone found him attractive and expressed interest in him that he was perfectly free to accept or decline.

I understand that some people are really uncomfortable with homosexuality and that they might not feel exactly flattered when someone who really turns them off makes a pass at them, but I don't understand feeling so outraged and appalled that you would "never again" patronize a good restaurant because of the fear that the same (highly improbable, when you think about it) homosexual might be there to prey on you again.

Or maybe you don't fear that exactly. Maybe you were just so traumatized by the gayness of it that you can't bear being in those four walls again. You can't bear any reminder of the faggotry that befell you. Your appetite for the restaurant's delicious food has been permanently lost.

And I don't understand why not a single one of the four or five guys involved in this conversation didn't speak up and say, "We can never eat at this restaurant because you're afraid that some gay guy will hit on you? Really? Isn't that kind of silly?" Instead they all just seemed to accept it as a perfectly rational, understandable response.

What if some female customer whom he found highly unattractive had hit on him? Would he let the fear of a repeat episode keep him from the restaurant? I doubt it. He'd probably politely tell her he wasn't interested and not give it another thought. He wouldn't flee the premises with a (flamboyant, don't you think?) cry of "Never again!"

Why does the unwanted attention from another man strike such a nerve?

I know that if you asked any of these guys if they were homophobic that they'd say no, that they'd insist they had "nothing against gays." But that's kind of the scary part, because they're just normal, average guys behaving like, well, normal, average guys who have nothing against anybody (as long as everything remains sort of "separate but equal"). They probably don't say "fag" in front of their kids — they're decent people, after all, not mean-spirited — but you don't really need to say "fag" when you otherwise manage to convey that a man being interested in another man is about the most appalling thing you can think of.

6 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Sharon said...

Amen. These people are worse than the most vitriolic, homophobic freaks I can imagine. Why? Because they profess to be our friends. or at the very least, not "against" us. But when these seemingly benign people display clearly and utterly homophobic behavior, other people -- similarly or even less gay-friendly -- are given permission to be just as obtuse.

Slap me in the face, please. Don't stab me in the back.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger kc said...

You know, if it had been a couple of old codgers, it would have still upset me, but these were guys in their 20s, which really makes me despair. They and their ilk are going to raise yet another generation of kids who, even if they're not gay-bashers, are always going to feel that there's something wrong with being gay, that it's not "normal." And if any of those kids themselves are gay, they'll have to go through that tired, sad, lonely ordeal of overcoming the feeling that they're abnormal and are a disappointment to their parents. It's such a waste of energy and love. And life. I don't understand why people complicate our short time of being alive with hatred and prejudice.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Sharon said...

Amen, sister. Amen.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Surely no offense was intended, but it's still hurtful.

As someone who, I'm sure, has been party to a conversation like that, and thought nothing of it, I appreciate your pointing out exactly how offensive and ignorant it is.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger leslie said...

As a parent, it's heartbreaking to see how early this "gay is weird" thinking starts polluting a child's worldview. What's weird about love? we asked our son. Then we pointed out that, really, when you think about it, sex is pretty weird no matter who is doing it. He laughed and agreed with that. I know the fight isn't over yet, but we're trying our best. It's a poisonous culture out there.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger kc said...

Sara, I'm sure we all have been party to conversations that had unintended hurtful results. I know I have been. It's so easy to do, really, especially in a group setting.

Leslie, I like your "sex is weird anyway" approach! Hehe. That's fantastic. I really can't imagine the difficulty of counteracting all the BS that kids get saddled with everyday, not just by other kids and TV, but by teachers and other adults who should know better.

I like to imagine what it would be like to be raised in a home where there' are no gender/sexual expectations beyond the hope that you'll fall in love with someone and be happy. I know that's kind of idealistic. but I always cringe when little kids are "corrected" for expressing "gender-inappropriate" notions — everything from the preference for a particular color or toy to the choice of a career or someone to love. It's like putting a vise grip around a child's soul, and people do it so automatically.

When you're a gay parent you deal with the fact that statistically you are probably raising a "straight" child and be very sensitive to that. You have to create an environment where the kid understands that it's all about finding someone you love. I don't think many straight parents look at their newborn and say to themselves, "This little guy could be gay, so we need to create an environment where, if that's the case, he will feel that that's normal and OK." I'm glad you're one of those parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home