Tuesday, December 19, 2006

HALFWAY EXCITED



When I started kindergarten, my mom got a dog for me and my siblings. Her name was Brandy, but we called her BB. She was a long-haired Chihuahua mix who was temperamental, prone to obesity, and really couldn’t stand people. We loved her like crazy. All of us. Everyone in the family worshipped her. When we’d have friends over, she’d chase them into the other room or growl at them if they got too close to one of the family. And we’d always take her side. We were a real “love-me-love-my-insane-dog” type clan.

When I started college, BB died. So I have always associated her life with my childhood and her death with its passing.

Consequential as that sounds, her death was even more momentous for my mom and stepdad. A few years later I would get another dog, and then, over time, three more dogs, two of whom have also since died. But my parents never owned another dog after BB. And that was 21 years ago.

So yesterday I bought them a dog — this little white puppy that I found, with Erin and Ben’s help, at a “country store” in their hometown.

I have wanted to get my parents a puppy for years. I don’t understand how anyone can be dogless for even a day. But they were always full of excuses: We’re not home enough; who will look after it when we travel? etc. They both mouthed the same reasons, but I could tell that it was my stepdad who was really against it. If he wanted a dog, they’d have a dog. Just like if he wanted a new house or car or stereo or computer, they’d have those things. My mom’s wanting something has never been reason enough to get it. But don’t get me started on the gender inequality in their marriage. I’ll just leave it at this: One time she said to me, “If Dad dies, I don’t want another husband, but I’m going to get me a dog first thing.”

One excuse my mom offered for their not having a dog is that BB’s death really tore up my stepdad. And it’s true. He loved her as much as everyone else did, and he had to watch her die after her stroke. He didn’t want to go through that again.

So they have been dogless forever. And I decided enough was enough. I know what’s best for them — I always have — and it’s time everyone acknowledged that.



I was just going to surprise them, but I had it too deeply ingrained in me that you don’t give pets as presents. So I looked around for a long time, mostly in the classified ads. I really wanted to adopt one from a shelter, but I wanted to get them a small dog and a really young one so it would be with them a good long time — that kind of dog is hard to come by at the pound; you basically just have to get lucky. Then E and B took me to this place that had just the kind of dog they’d like. I should have just bought it on sight, but I had to hem and haw, as my mom would say. I convinced myself that I had to ask them first; otherwise, if they really didn’t want a pet, I’d end up keeping it myself — a third dog. So I left without the pup, drove two and a half hours home, tried to forget it.

After three minutes of trying to forget it, I call my mom and say, "There's a Christmas present I want to buy you, but I thought I better ask first." Then I spill the beans. I can tell she's thrilled but she's trying to act like she's not. There's something in that generation that tells them that every pleasure has to be tempered. All compliments are qualified. All sex is married. All money is saved. Unalloyed joy is alien to them. I know just the thing to convince her, though: "I'm going to send you a picture, and you call back and tell me what you think." Two minutes later the phone rings. She says, "That is the cutest dog I have ever seen," followed quickly by "Dad will kill me. I may have to move in with you."

I am so thrilled that my mom is doing something simply because SHE wants to do it that I summarily say, "OK, I'm getting it. I'll call you later." A minute later she calls back. I think she's going to backtrack. But she says, "I already have her name picked out: Molly."

Yay.

So I drive back two and a half hours to pick up Molly. We stop and play with Erin and Maggie and Charlie, then head home. My plan had been to give her to my mom the next morning, but I decide that very night would be best. I call her and say, "I'm bringing her tonight." I can hear my stepdad saying something in the background. My mom says, "No, you've done enough driving tonight." I get worried. "Did you tell him?" I ask. She says, "Yeah," nervously, "I think it'll be OK." I say, "I'm going to bring her tonight," and my mom says something to my stepdad, then says to me, "Dad doesn't want you driving on K-10; he says you'll hit a deer."

That is the essence of my stepdad: forecasting the worst — and usually the zaniest — outcome for any set of circumstances: If your hot-water heater makes a tiny rumble, the whole house is sure to explode; if you let your gas tank fall below half full, something terrible will happen to you in the car; if a newspaper remains on your porch more than an hour after it's thrown, every thief in town will know you're not home; if you pay even a single bill late or don't pay your credit card balance in full every month, you'll have to declare bankruptcy; if you don't wash your car inside and out at least once a week, its resale value will plummet; and on and on.

Some people might recognize a touch of paranoia there; I just recognize my childhood. So I concede that it would be terrible to kill a deer for the sake of delivering a puppy, and I tell her I will wait until the morning.

But my mom calls me one more time that night. She says, "How is Molly doing?" I hear my stepdad say something in the background. My mom says, "Dad wants to know how much she weighs." Then she says, "Dad has been reading about Molly's kind of dog on the Internet. Don't tell him I said this, but he's halfway excited."


15 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halfway excited. Hee hee! It's probably the best thing that's happened to him in years!

Way to go, kc. Great present!

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aagghh! I'm grinning uncontrollably now.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger cl said...

What a great idea! And what a cutie!

I'd love to do the same for my parents. After Scoshi died (about 22 years ago), they wouldn't get another dog because they said it wouldn't be the same. I think that's unfortunate -- there are so many animals out there who need a family.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl, you just gotta start working on them, and they'll soften up in a few years.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"There's something in that generation that tells them that every pleasure has to be tempered. All compliments are qualified. All sex is married. All money is saved."

I love this.

Molly is the sweetest-looking little puppy. You did a good job picking her out.

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's the best Christmas present ever!!!! I'm so proud of you. What a wonderful and loving thing to do. Maybe your action will give Mary and me the courage to do the same thing (only with a cat) to/for her mother.

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger kc said...

What excuses does she give for not having a pet?

I've called my mom about six times in the last 24 hours to see what Molly's up to. The answer is always: She's lying on Dad's chest in the recliner; or she's following me around the house; or she's snuggling Dad; or the three of us are playing with her stuffed mouse.

The last time I talked to her, she said, "She might have some separation anxiety later; she never wants to leave our side." (And I could totally tell that it was they who were not leaving her side!)

I have a feeling another BB is in the making. Probably next time I visit Molly will bark ferociously at me and try to run me off. And my parents will take her side and give her a treat.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your parents are adorable. I'm so happy for them.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're training a yapper! Oh, well. That face can cover a multitude of sins (I'm speaking of Molly's face, in case that wasn't clear.)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger kc said...

My mom is going to call me as soon as Molly barks the first time.

I just got the went-poop-on-the-newspaper-for-the-first-time call today.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

Cutest. Puppy. Ever.

Look at that face!! I think that will be the best Christmas ever for them. You should feel proud. Little Molly is one lucky dog to be surrounded by such love and attention.

Ohren didn't bark for about a week and the first time was small. Now he's always telling us stuff. I thought we were lucky to have such a quiet little dog. Oh, well. We're the luckiest people on the planet for having such an awesome pup.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger kc said...

Ohren rocks! And he has giant ears, like Molly, and he's a snuggler. Are you bringing him with you when you come to Kansas?

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger amy rush said...

No, I wish I could - but Karen would miss him too much and I'm flying. And my mom has two cats. Maybe next time when Karen can come too - we'll drive. I wish I could meet Molly when I come visit.

 
At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD. That IS the CUTEST dog I have ever seen. And it looks just perfect for your mom.

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember the time we told your dad that we got a Black and Tan Coonhound (Mabel)? His responce was, "Coonhound . . . I was driving down an old country road once when an old coonhound jumped out in front of my pickup and THUD, bubump, bubump. I hit that dog hard. I pulled over the trunk and scooped up the dog, put it in the back of the truck and took it to the old farmer. We burried it in the yard. That is the right thing to do when you hit a dog."

I know he was just relaying a story but I was overcome with sadness. I also know that was his way of saying that Coonhounds are working dogs and they need time to run. I just couldn't believe that was his first reaction to hearing we had a new dog.

Similiarly, when I got Pip the neighbor across the street from my mom's house told me the story of how he hit his son's dog with a car one day. It had come out to greet him when he got home. He told his son to go into the house and get his gun and put one bullet in it. When his son (who was only 12) came back out my neighbor told him to shoot the dog between the eyes. Then my neighbor said, "He couldn't do it. So, after I took care of the dog and burried it I told him he couldn't get another dog until he was man enough to shoot it. That is love."

Another sentiment from a bygone generation. I know, too, this was his way of saying that dogs require a lot of responsibility, but all I could think of was him shooting MY little pup.

So, here is what I want to say about little Molly (or Moll Doll as I have already nick named her) I KNOW your mom is going to lavish her with love. I know they will be best of friends and that she won't allow anything bad to happen to her.

She looks so great. I can't wait to hear more about her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home