Friday, November 24, 2006

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Co-worker A: Good show, guys. Are you driving to Springfield tonight?

Co-worker B: No, I'm going in the morning.

Co-worker C: Goin' to see the man. Woo-hoo.

Co-worker B: I know I won't be able to sleep. I'm too excited. Last time I couldn't sleep until 5 in the morning.

Co-worker A: Oh, not me. Whenever I'm going to see Jim the next day, I fall asleep right away — it's like my body knows that the quicker the night passes the quicker the morning gets here.

Co-worker C: I wish my body knew that.

Co-worker B: Me too. I toss and turn all night.

Co-worker A: Not me. I fall asleep while I'm brushing my teeth.

Co-worker C: This is so bad. One time I was late — like not just late, but like four hours late — because I couldn't sleep all night and then in the morning I was out like a light! I missed my flight and everything. Ryan was at the airport with roses, calling me, like 'where are you?' It was so bad.

Co-worker A: Oh my God.

Co-worker B: Oh my God.

Co-worker C: I know. Now I set like three alarms and tell my mom, "Mom you HAVE to call and make sure I'm up."

Co-worker B: I'm leaving in like eight hours and I haven't figured out what to wear. It's been so long since I've seen him.

Co-worker A: Did you buy some hot new outfits? I always do.

Co-worker C: So do I.

Co-worker B: I bought a few things. My problem is I can't decide what to wear. I mean, I got this real cute outfit to put on when I actually see him, but I haven't decided what to wear in the car. I always wear something in the car, and then I change when I'm almost there.

Co-worker A: That is so smart.

Co-worker C: Yeah, I do that too, so you don't get all wrinkled.

Co-worker B: OK, well I'm going to go home and try to sleep, after I figure out what to wear in the car.

Co-worker A: OK, good luck. Happy Thanksgiving.

Co-worker C: Happy Thanksgiving. See you Monday.

25 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Who are these people?!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger kc said...

Take a guess, darling.

OK, I'll give you a hint. Two are broadcasters who started working here after you left. And the other is a broadcasting intern.

The one who was deciding what to wear in the car is a former student, whom, to my embarrassment, I did not recognize when she started working here. She's the one who told me: "Everything I know about editing I learned from you." And I honestly didn't know whether that was a compliment or a rebuke.

Anyway, my plan is to listen to all their conversations so that when she "graduates" from this place to some network affiliate I can tell her: "Everything I know about pleasing men I learned from you."

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger cl said...

I have never put that much time into ... never mind.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger kc said...

You haven't? See, that's good, because I always feel like an alien among women, and I thought it was just me.

One thing I can't figure out is whether the men they are going to visit KNOW that these ladies change into something cute before they arrive, or whether they are under the illusion that the ladies remain fresh and crisp and wrinkle-free after a day in the car. Can someone help me with that?

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger kc said...

Another observation.

When I was in a commuter relationship with my now-ex-husband I was always super-excited to see him, but that was not reflected in my wardrobe. After not seeing me for several months, I don't think he would have noticed whether I was wearing a pair of ratty shorts or an evening gown.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Kc, in answer to your question, I would say that are under the illusion to the extent that they probably never have asked themselves. Don’t you figure they divide the world of women into those that look spiffy and those that don’t instead of dividing it into those that spend a lot time trying to look spiffy and those that spend most of their time doing something else?

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I also never put much thought into my outfits for Ben's benefit. He likely wouldn't have noticed the difference if I had.

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There should be a law against having these types of conversations in public.

I despise these women, sight unseen.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger kc said...

What do you really think, Sharon? You lesbians! Always beating around the bush.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger kc said...

Well, sometimes I do wish I looked like Lindsay Lohan so I could infiltrate this cadre of femininity, a la Mean Girls , and discover their secrets and motivations.

As it is, I have the feeling that every time I walk by they are eyeing one another and whispering: "Pssst. Lesbo at 2 o'clock ... Did you see those shoes?"

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger kc said...

I think you're not giving Ben the benefit of the doubt. He would probably register this much: loose shirt, tight shirt, no shirt.

Am I wrong?

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Actually, Erin and I have very different taste, so I try not to notice what her clothes look like, since I seem to have trouble keeping my opinions about such things to myself.

But I still notice whether Erin is wearing a shirt.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger kc said...

You have very different taste? How so?

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Erin said...

If it's not a t-shirt, it's "weird." Right?

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Erin: I'm far more complex than that, you know. I just don't like stuff that looks bad.

KC: It's mostly a joke, but it is true that some of her favorite clothes I don't think look very good. I think Erin likes strange colors, for one thing. And (you'll agree with me on this one) NONE of her pants have tapered legs! (All of mine do, of course, since I know what looks gooood.)

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, you have to admit you'd look a bit more spiffy if you started wearing T-shirts from Wal-Mart that said "Newton."

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That's true. And my non-striped shoelaces are totally not spiffy.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, I also think it would serve you well to take a picture of yourself in a blue polo shirt making a face like you're taking a crap and post it with your blog comments.

Have you learned NOTHING from living with the master of good taste for seven years?

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I don't know about you, but I've never made this face while taking a crap. That'd be a hell of a crap!

And did you notice that there is a guy behind me picking his nose? It's too close to crop out!

 
At 1:58 AM, Blogger george said...

As you can tell, I'm having wardrobe issues, too.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger kc said...

A teddy nurse!

Nice garter. Try shaving your legs next time, if you want the full effect.

Is that a syringe in your paw or a cigarette?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Noir Muse said...

Oh god. I just read through the comments and I almost peed my pants. Ha!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger george said...

Rectal thermometer.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger kc said...

Ah yes, of course.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger cl said...

Ditto, NM. I'm getting caught up after the weekend and feel like I've missed out on this marvelous thread.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home