Sunday, October 01, 2006

COMPARATIVELY LITTLE AIR

Elsewhere on this blog, the band WHAM! came in for some criticism. But, you know, I think WHAM! is only half bad. The Andrew Ridgeley half, to be specific.

(I had to look up that dude's name because I only remembered him as the one no one remembered.)

Start rolling your eyes, Rick, but golly gee, there is something about George Michael.

Sure, WHAM!'s breakthrough song, "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go," needed another go go through the typewriter, but you could see hints of genius:

You put the boom-boom into my heart
You send my soul sky high when your lovin' starts
Jitterbug into my brain
Goes a bang-bang-bang 'til my feet do the same


How can you listen to a grown man sing that and not feel something very primal, something very, I don't know, boom-boom in your brain?

And later in the song, when he says:

You take the grey skies out of my way
You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day


How did they actually say that out loud and have millions of girls believe they were heterosexual?

How? Genius. That's how.

Anyway, the song speaks for itself. But I was reading today that George Michael got the idea for it when Andrew left him a note in their hotel room that said — of all things — "George: Wake me up before you go go."

Don't you love when someone takes something retarded off a cocktail napkin and parlays it into an international sensation?
That sort of thing impresses my socks off. I mean, you try it. Take some dumb note someone left you and try making millions and millions of dollars off it. It's not as easy at it looks. If you really put yourself into it, you might start a new literary movement, but global fame, I daresay, you'd find elusive.

So WHAM! is not half bad in my book.

I was at Borders today, and I bought my first George Michael CD. I was actually looking at the M's for Joni Mitchell. I bought "Blue" for Beth when we first started dating. And she took it with her when we stopped dating. I wanted to hear it again. Then I spotted George Michael's "Faith" next to it, and for some reason I had to have it.

I had to.

It's one of those albums that when it was popular you were ashamed to like it. You made fun of it for being poppy, light weight. If it came on the radio when someone was with you, you'd turn the station. If it came on when you were alone, you'd turn up the volume.

You know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, lyrics that once struck me as shallow now strike me as rather profound in their transparency, such as, from the title track "Faith":

Well I guess it would be nice
If I could touch your body
I know not everybody
Has got a body like you


And this, from the plainly titled "I Want Your Sex":

Sex is something that we should do
Sex is something for me and you


Gosh. That is how Mr. Rogers might try to seduce someone. Sex is something that we should do! And I kept listening to it. What does it mean? It means what it says. But what does it MEAN that it can be said so simply?

I thought of how rap music says the same thing, but it's more complicated; it's tinged with machismo and racism and politics and mood and meter. It's not just what it appears to be.

One of the definitions of "shallow" in my dictionary is "displacing comparatively little air," as in shallow breathing, and that's how I like to think of George Michael. Very little air is displaced, both in what he says and in how long you have to spend thinking about it. I'm not touting that as an exclusive artistic end, but there's something to be said for it, even if it's something that displaces comparatively little air.

Another way I was thinking about this is that George Michael puts the happy back in gay.

One song on this album, though, I need help with, because I can't believe it means what it says, and I don't even really know what it says.

That's all I wanted
Something special, something sacred
In your eyes
For just one moment
To be bold and naked
At your side

I will be your father figure
Put your tiny hand in mine
I will be your preacher teacher
Anything you have in mind
I will be your father figure
I have had enough of crime
I will be the one who loves you
Until the end of time


I thought it was sort of a gay anthem, something like: Your own dad, your natural protector, doesn't love you because you're gay, so I'll be your father figure and watch out for you; I'll love you until the end of time, just like your parent should.

But I don't think that was the popular reception of this song, and I think there's a lot more there. Anyone want to weigh in?

19 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger george said...

I think it's more of father figure in role of a provider of any needs, including love:

If you are the desert
I'll be the sea
If you ever hunger
Hunger for me
Whatever you ask for
That's what I'll be.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger george said...

And for those wanting to do a little video analysis ...

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger kc said...

Also, G, not to tell tales out of school, but when I called you Sunday to tell you I bought this album, you said you were a big fan of some George Michael song. What was it? Don't leave me hanging (I know you're trying to take advantage of my confession to supplant me in Rick's affections). Fess up.

Today I heard Nine Inch Nails' "I Want to Fuck You Like an Animal." It's so funny that they try to disguise the actual lyrics for radio. It's so clear what's being said. Anyway, I really like that NIN song. It's a wee bit more complex than George Michael's "I Want Your Sex." Hehe. And a tad disturbing. I think there's a dissertation in this comparison. Seriously.

Well, what do you think GM means in "Father Figure" when he says he has had enough of crime? I'm tempted to think it's a reference to little boys being abused and he is casting himself as a protector, a father figure, a catcher in the rye, but I can't quite reconcile that with other lines.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Maybe he means crimes of the heart? Or perhaps he is referring to anti-sodomy laws and resorting to rest stop sex or transvestite prostitute sex? That video had a drag queen feeling to it.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger george said...

Ah, that was Freedom '90. I actually like that as more of a gay anthem:

Heaven knows I was just a young boy
Didn't know what I wanted to be
I was every little hungry schoolgirl's pride and joy
And I guess it was enough for me
To win the race? A prettier face!
Brand new clothes and a big fat place
On your rock and roll TV
But today the way I play the game is not the same
No way
Think I'm gonna get myself happy


And good God -- I remember how I WORSHIPED Trent Reznor when I was a college freshman. Head Like a Hole is still my favorite of NIN.

And as far as the "enough of crime," there's another line in the song: "But sometimes love can be mistaken for a crime." It kinda supports the stalker aspect, although I think "crime" is referring to a gay lover, as in the '80s it was still considered a "forbidden love."

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger george said...

OK, after watching Freedom '90, it's totally about being gay! His leather jacket, is in the closet, then it starts flaming! How could I have never even noticed that?!

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

I have always loved the song father figure.

That's all I wanted
Something special
Something sacred
In your eyes


I don't think the potential pedophile angle is completely valid. It is much more likely that he is speaking as a more sexaully experienced gay male to a less sexually experienced or less 'out' gay male.

Plus, for point of reference in terms of popular pedophile-esque songs:

Otis Redding, Try a Little Tenderness:

Oh she may be weary
them young girls they do get wearied
wearing that same old shaggy dress
but when she gets weary
you try a little tenderness
i know shes waiting
just anticipating
the thing that you'll never never possess
...
but the soft words they are spoke so gentle
yeah yeah yeah
and it makes it easier to bear
oh she wont regret it
no no
them young girls they dont forget it
love is their whole happiness
yeah yeha yeah
but its all so easy
all you got to do is try
try a little tenderness


Or, I am sure we all know:

Well she was just seventeen
You know what I mean


And of course the Kinks, never ones to skirt around an issue:

Sunday afternoon theres something special
Its just like another world.
Jogging in the park is my excuse
To look at all the little girls.

Im not a flasher in a rain coat,
Im not a dirty old man,
Im not gonna snatch you from your mother,
Im an art lover.
Come to daddy,
Ah, come to daddy,
Come to daddy.

Pretty little legs, I want to draw them,
Like a degas ballerina.
Pure white skin, like porcelain,
Shes a work of art and I should know
Im an art lover.
Come to daddy,
And Ill give you some spangles.

Little girl dont notice me
Watching as she innocently plays.
She cant see me staring at her
Because Im always wearing shades.
She feeds the ducks, looks at the flowers.
I follow her around for hours and hours.
Id take her home, but that could never be,
Shes just a substitute
For whats been taken from me.
Ah, come to daddy, come on.

Sunday afternoon cant last forever,
Wish I could take you home.
So, come on, give us a smile
Before you vanish out of view.
Ive learned to appreciate you
The way art lovers do,
And I only want to look at you.


That song is brilliant, but only because of the line "She's just a substitute for what's been taken from me."

But, I will leave you with this:

Each time I see a little girl of
Five or six or seven
I can't resist a joyous urge smile and say
Thank heaven for little girls
For little girls get bigger every day
Thank heaven for little girls
They grow up in the most delightful way
Those little eyes so helpless and appealing
One day will flash and send you crashing thru the ceiling
Thank heaven for little girls
Thank heaven for them all
No matter where no matter who
For without them, what would little boys do
Thank heaven, thank heaven
Thank heaven for little girls


So, I think Father Figure, is really super tame. Also, a father figure has a lot of religious connotations in addition to familial ones - someone who shows another 'the way.'

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger kc said...

B, youre' right. The "Father Figure" video does have a drag feel to it — the whole model thing.

And yes, even assuming the song is about pedophilia, which I really don't think it is, it is way more tame than straight counterparts.

I remmber seeing Laurie Anderson speak one time, and she was talking about the bullshit that straight men get away with in regard to liking the young ones that gay men are crucified for. She used the Beatles example. She was just 17, you know what I mean. What DO you mean? she said. Pop culture is full of songs about men deflowering girls. Girl you'll be a woman soon/soon you'll need a man ... Yadda yadda. Even Michael Jackson's "Pretty Young Thing" is ostensibly addressed to a girl.

"Art Lover" is a fantastic song. I'm glad you brought that up. It has that Lolita-esque sadness and self-awareness that puts it on a higher plane, I think. It also shares sensibilities with Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice," about an aging, physically decaying man engaged in a ballet of longing for a young stranger. And it's certainly in the tone of a substitute of something that's been taken from him (the narrator of Lolita lost a childhood love, too, I just remembered).

What is that Madonna video where she runs off hand in hand with a young boy, and they are both dressed like men? Same vein.

G, I'll have to listen to Freedom 90. Hehe

And yes, G, "But sometimes love can be mistaken for a crime." That lyric is the key. You're right.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Open Your Heart! I absolutely loved that as a youngster. She works at a peep show. The boy is waiting out front. I found it on youtube.

I was obsessed, literally, with Madonna and I wanted to be that little boy, I found it incredibly exciting when he was sleeping and she kissed him.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I loved the "Faith" album. I thought GM was totally cute. And I had no idea he was gay. In my defense, I was 8.

"Father Figure" always bothered me, too. I like this idea of it being a gay anthem. It's certainly a lot less creepy that way.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Erin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Hey, speaking of pedophilia, have you guys seen the trailer for "Deliver Us From Evil"?

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger cl said...

I thought "Father Figure" was pedophilia, of a heterosexual nature. Huh.

I hate that video where he shakes his ass.

Early Wham, good stuff.

They sound nothing like Tears for Fears but make me think of them.

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger kc said...

Wow. Deliver Us From Evil looks riveting.

What a cancer on humanity.

B, love that Madonna video, too — where they dance off together into the sunset.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger george said...

Darn you, kc! Do you know what you did to me?! I'm sitting in class today trying to learn A&P but I've got Father Figure stuck in my head!

And we covered the skeletal system, so on the test I'm probably going to answer something related to George Michael's big bone.

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger kc said...

He has a big bone? Which one?

(also, did you see he got in trouble yesterday for being a doper? d'oh!)

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger george said...

Yeah ... didn't they find him stoned and passed out in his car in the middle of the street?

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Ben said...

His trombone, of course.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Deliver Us From Evil does look riveting. It is the kind of movie I like to follow up with a shower (to clean the yuckies away).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home