Thursday, September 28, 2006

PUPPY DOG TAILS



Rupert is very sad today because he had an operation on his tail. The vet anesthetized him and shaved off his fur and removed a growth. It's very icky to have your tail operated on because there's not much tissue or skin there, just a lot of bone and nerves, and the healing can take awhile.

He looked very demoralized when I left him at the hospital. He did not want to stay. When I came to pick him up, he was so happy to see me. He shoved his snout between my knees and wagged his tail, even though it obviously caused him pain to move it. On the ride home he stuck his big lion's head out the window and closed his eyes and let the cold wind blow through his mane. Every minute or so he'd look at me and smile, like "I'm so glad you remembered to come get me. Who knows what those sadists would have done to me next!"

The vet — a teenaged boy who works there now — just called and said it wasn't a cyst, as he initially thought, or cancerous, as he slightly feared, but was a follicular tumor, which is benign.

Mabel was nervous all day, wondering where he was — worried that he was doing something fun without her, and acting accordingly petty.

The vet sent him home with a ton of antibiotics and a giant funnel collar, which I guess is for me to wear so I won't bother him with too many kisses.

Last night he lay down on the pillows by my head and didn't budge all night. Usually he sleeps at the end of the bed to watch over me, or by the door. But last night it was my turn to watch over him.

14 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Rupert is such a good boy. Give him my regards.

And that picture of the two of you is the greatest thing I've seen in a long time.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger cl said...

Get well, soon, Rupert! You look so sad!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Poor Rupert! Give him several extra kisses for me.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger george said...

Oh, poor guy! Tell him to get well and give him a hug for me.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger kc said...

I think he's feeling a little better. When I got home last night he wouldn't leave my side, and he fell asleep on me like a sack of potatoes. This morning he was whimpering, and the vet told me to give him an aspirin. Later he seemed to be more lively. I took him for a ride in the car, and on the way out the front door he chased two squirrels. I have to let Mabel out separately because she still wants to drag him around by his ears.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for Rupert. It's the worst thing in the world to take your kids to the vet. No amount of reassurance makes them -- or you -- feel any better. Add mine to the kisses Rupert is to receive.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thanks! Rupert is awash in kisses!

But I haven't broken the news to him yet that he can't go swimming for a while.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Did Mabel take that picture of you two?

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger kc said...

No, I don't let Mabel use my camera anymore because she always cuts people's heads off.

I took the picture, even though it looks like I'm asleep. I'm just looking down, partly because the flash is only an arm's length from my eyes (and I have short arms.)

When we first went to bed I was going to read for a while, but Rupert kept plopping his head on my face and neck. He really wanted me to snuggle him while he slept, which, as I said, is unusual for him. So I got the camera off my dresser and took pictures while he snored.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Buddy Rue. His tail is so skinny without all that fur! What a little wimpikus maximus. I hope he is feeling better.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger kc said...

He doesn't have any fur on his tail at all, except for that poofy ball at the end, which Mabel keeps sniffing! He's wagging it more now without it seeming to bother him, and he's eating more. I wish I could reward him with a trip to the park, but he's not supposed to get his stitches wet, and there's no way I'd be able to keep him out of the river or the cockleburs. I'll take him for a long walk downtown tomorrow.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

DOWNTOWN! Braving human interaction. I miss Mr. Rue.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger kc said...

"Braving human interaction"

Are you talking about me or Rupert?

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Both! Rupert is a 'home buddy.'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home