Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A DREAM DETOURED



This house on my street has always reminded me of Cape Cod. Even after I actually went to Cape Cod and didn't see a single house like it, it still reminds me of Cape Cod. Maybe it's the way it looks sort of sand-scoured, sort of sea-touched. Maybe it's the saltbox appearance from the front. Or the way it sits on its dunelike hill against the porcelain sky, suggesting blue waves beyond. Maybe it's because no one seems to live there, like its fair-weather occupants have all fled inland for the winter. Or maybe it's the forlorn bar next to it, in a 19th-century stone house, that inspires the feel of a shabby beachtown at the end of the season. Or maybe it's my imagination.

Whatever it is, as I was walking past it, I got a terrible craving for clam chowder.

And a terrible yearning to own the house, to restore it to some imagined glory, to brace it against November's gales, to scrub it from stem to stern, to make its windows sparkle, to throw some dazzling white paint on the clapboards and pickets, and to stock it with firewood and wool blankets and kerosene lamps.

Alas, the only yearning I could actually satisfy was for the chowder — one more fantasy playing itself out in food, one more lofty craving of the mind reduced to a lowly craving of the stomach.

So I searched for a recipe online, one that would be good for Kansas (i.e., would not require fresh clams, which I assumed you couldn't even get here — but I was wrong about that), and I found this:

The Cliff House Clam Chowder from The Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine

On the menu since 1872.

Serves six.

INGREDIENTS:
1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
1/2 teaspoon butter
1 cup onion, minced
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon The Cliff House Spice Blend (see below)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 can clams (6-1/2 ounces)
1 cup bottled clam juice
1-1/2 cups Half and Half
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced

PREPARATION:
To Create The Cliff House Spice Blend, blend 4 tsps oregano, 4 tsps dried parsley, 2 tsps marjoram, 2 tsps dill, 4 tsps thyme, 4 tsps basil, 1 tsp sage, 4 tsps rosemary, 2 tsps tarragon, 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, crushing in a mortar if possible.
Store in a resealable plastic bag to refrigerate.

In a heavy-bottomed, 4-pint soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and The Cliff House Spice Blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown. Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes. Add white pepper, potatoes and clams. Heat to serving temperature. Do not allow to boil, as this toughens the clams. Serve at once with crackers and warm cornbread.


I was a little dubious about a recipe from Maine that called for canned clams. What gives? And when I saw that you could actually buy fresh Littleneck clams here, $6.99 a pound at the co-op, $5.99 a pound at Hy-Vee, I entertained making it from scratch. The from-scratch recipe I came up with called for white wine, which intrigued me, and EIGHT POUNDS of fresh Cherrystone clams. That's a lot of clams — literally and figuratively, $48 or $56 depending on where you shop. Not that I deny myself little luxuries here and there, but that seemed sort of extravagant for a meal for one to be eaten in my sweatpants on my couch while watching reruns of "Weeds." It would be like buying a really fancy hooker for the five-minute commute home. So I decided I'd save the fresh-clam experience for entertaining; it will be more fun to boil the little buggers and pry them from the shell and strain New England's sand from the nectar in the company of Kansas friends — fellow chowder virgins, as it were.

So canned clams it was. I bought two large cans of whole baby clams and two smaller cans of chopped clams because I couldn't decide which ones to use. I ended up using the chopped clams because the can size — 6-1/2 oz. — was what the recipe called for. Dumb reason, I know, especially because I ended up defying the recipe (a technique I learned from Christy) and using both 6-1/2 oz. cans. It just didn't seem clammy enough with one, and it would bug me to have three cans of clams just sitting in my pantry. Two, yes. But three would seem like hoarding.

Some other modifications to the recipe: I used vegetarian bacon (go ahead, laugh), more clam juice than it called for (on account of opening that extra can of clams), and a half cup more Half and Half than it called for (on account of not wanting that leftover half cup from the pint to just go bad in my refrigerator). The result of these liquid additions is that my chowder was probably thinner than it should have been. The chowder I ate in New England was so thick you could turn your spoon upside down and have hardly a drop fall off.

Here is a picture of my chowder. It was pretty hardy, despite the broth being a little thin, and it had a very nice flavor, which I attribute to my doubling the amount of herbs it called for. One teaspoon! Please. What do you take me for? I like a lot of herbs. Especially after journeying to the bulk spice store and buying nine different herbs and mixing up the famous spice blend, I wasn't about to call it good at one tiny teaspoon. (By the way, the color of dried dill is breathtaking ... I mean, I use it fairly regularly in egg salads and broiled fish and such, and it always takes me by surprise. It is utterly GREEN. It is Ireland green. You think the parsley is green, and the tarragon, then you open the dill, and it stops your heart.) So mixing up the herbs was probably the most fun part of this recipe, because of the colors and smells, and also because you can pretend you're a drug dealer putting together a fabulous bag of ganja. I should have departed from the recipe and wrapped the herbs in a garni. I think the chowder would be more beautiful with less debris floating in it. I also used black pepper instead of white pepper because I prefer its taste.

The canned clams were a little too chewy — I'm willing to give the fresh ones a try — but, I have to say, my first chowder satisfied my craving quite nicely, although I'm still hungry for that fabulous house.

17 Comments:

At 1:05 AM, Blogger george said...

So I guess it wasn't weird when the cafeteria put bacon in the clam chowder a few weeks back. Of course, they put bacon in everything.

That house is cool, and I also really like that house you showed me just north of Lawrence -- the one with all the windows.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Congrats on the chowder. I definitely want to be there when you try the fresh clams. Hehe.

Good call, George. KC, you should do a post on that house north of Lawrence. I think I could do a whole blog on houses that capture my imagination.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger kc said...

George, virtually all of the chowder recipes I found online had bacon or some type of salted pork in them.

I really think no one lives in that house. I have never seen a soul there or any evidence of activity, except maybe a few years ago when I first moved into the neighborhood. You should make inquiries and buy it! We could fix it up together. Or it could just be our vacation house. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a vacation house just one block away from your everyday house?

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger kc said...

According to county records, that house is owned by some dude named Valentine and it is appraised at $67,500. I don't know how well those county appraisals reflect the market (I just had my house appraised in order to get a home equity loan, and it was $50,000 above the county appraisal ... but the county guys have never been inside my house). So I figure some yuppy is going to snap it up, especially with the artsy lofts going up across the street and the development of this area as a funky residential/warehouse district. This is the oldest residential neighborhood in Lawrence, and someone is finally making hay with that, and most of the neighbors have finally dropped their resistance to that). Worst case scenario: Some asshole will tear that house down to put up something with a fraction of its charm.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I only eat ice cream, candy, and fast food, and I'm guessing that chowder isn't any of those.

That is a nice house, though. I really wish they hadn't put that horrible-looking brand-new roof cladding on it. And, if I remember correctly, the chimney on the north side is falling apart -- that's an expensive repair. But you know all about fixing bricks!

I can't tell from the picture, but I think I remember that the overhang in front was poorly stuck on. Tearing that off would be one of the first steps in restoring the front of that house to its full stateliness.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger kc said...

Ben, do you think the front of that house had no overhang at all, or just something different? A typical saltbox had nothing, just a flat front with symmetrical windows. Agreed on the roof.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Ben said...

From the picture and my memory, I'd have to say there was no overhang originally.

From a design standpoint, look at how the top trim above the little window above the front door is the same height as the windows, and is ridiculously high if you're going to have any overhang.

And they wouldn't have an overhang that just covered the middle half of the width at that time, would they?

Are those supports unpainted? They might be as old as the overhang (thus, quite new).

How old is the house? There's a pretty good chance that it has original siding, in which case you'd be able to see wherever they had a previous overhang (if it were in a different place).

Therefore, my verdict is that it had no overhang originally. But I'm no expert!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger kc said...

I'll do some investigating!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger driftwood said...

The bar in a stone house is next to it? Have you been in the bar? What’s it like? Instead of a beach town, I think of it as being from rural England like that pub—brewpub really—that Thomas Hardy has in “Far From the Madding Crowd”.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, at the corner of Ninth and Pennsylvania, there's a little 3.2 beer bar (one of two left in town) called Charlie's. It's in a tiny stone house that was built in the 19th century. It's directly to the north of the white house, which would be to your left as you look at the picture. I think the zoning at that end of the street is all funky (some residential, industrial, retail mix). I've been inside only once, for an afternoon beer and a good grilled cheese sandwich (made on a hotplate). It closes at midnight because it's a 3.2 bar, so the times I'd be most likely to go, i.e., after work, it's not open. It's real neighborhoody, though. It has its blue-collar regulars who keep it in business, obviously, because it's way off the beaten path. Sometimes you see little gatherings out on its deck, like bachelor parties and whatnot. I've never read "Far From the Madding Crowd," but it'd be fantastic if it were an honest-to-God village pub (with room-temperature Guinness on tap!) and ploughman's lunches!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

I have driven past that corner for years on my way to and from Kansas City. It has always struck me as improbable that a bar could survive in that spot, but I think it is cool that it does.

If I’m remembering the scene from Hardy correctly, it is one of his romantic set pieces. The patrons of the place are all dirt poor farm folk and the interior is smoky from a poorly ventilated fire. The craggy old half-blind brew master passes around a huge communal vase that they all drink from in the firelight. The beer is a watery and thin because all these people are so poor. I suspect that the food would have been equally plain.

Your corner bar has better fare, it seems. But it would be great if they switched to Guinness. Wouldn’t your blue-collar regulars just die for a warm black beer?

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

KC - In my pursuit of the ever-elusive, decent apartment that allows pets in Lawrence I have taken to fantasizing about that house. Specifically, about owning that house.

Like minds.

I would, first and foremost want to tear down the caverness maze of additions that litter the back yard. Surely, the additions house the only indoor plumbing. The scope of fixing that old gem up is beyond my current ability to invest time into meaningful projects. Also, I thought it might be creepy to buy a house down the street from our old place.

You should post a photo of that house we used to drive out to and look at near the train tracks in North Lawrence. Another uninhabited gem.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger kc said...

Why would it be creepy? I think it'd be sort of funny to sometimes pass each other on the street and just silently nod, like Ed and I do.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger kc said...

I'll try to get out there and take a picture. Maybe tomorrow. It's supposed to be nice. I found out that an attorney here in town owns it. It's the same vintage as my house.

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger cl said...

"It would be like buying a really fancy hooker for the five-minute commute home."

Hehe ... boy, now I'm starving, and it's only 8:45 a.m. Impressive!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger cl said...

I want to buy that secret house on the corner of 7th and Connecticut. It's red brick but mostly hidden with trees and a fence. Right now it's marred by the presence of a rusty swingset and crappy kids stuff. How can anyone junk up such a beautiful property?

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger kc said...

God, that house is fantastic. The autumn foliage is beautiful, but when the leaves drop you can really see that house in its full glory. The wrought iron fence is magnificent. The architecture. The setting. Everything. I'm guessing the people who live there "intend" to "do something with it" someday, but someday will never come, and it will remain craptacular until it falls into some loving hands.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home