Tuesday, January 08, 2008

POINT 2: NO SHIT

The evening didn’t end there. I had to sit through the meal. I had to pretend to have an appetite. And, actually, concentrating on the food was a good excuse for not joining the conversation, for not looking up. My nephew sat next to me, more subdued than before, looking slack-jawed and vaguely injured. In the bathroom I had contemplated apologizing for making a scene, for introducing the “I am gay” awkwardness at a family dinner, for “flaunting” my sexuality, as some would no doubt describe it later, probably as they draped an arm around their heterosexual spouse or used the event as a “teaching moment” for the products of their heterosexual union. But I quickly decided against that. I had not made a scene. I had calmly made a statement. And they deserved to feel awkward, not just the homophobic jokesters, but all the people who had enabled them by laughing or doing nothing.

I could pull my nephew aside and explain to him the wrongness of what he did, of how he behaves, of the hate-filled redneck path he was progressing down, but he would probably just stare at his feet and nod and wait for me to finish. And the truth, I knew, was that as soon as he was in the car with his parents that they would counter any talk of mine by assuring him that he did nothing wrong, that it was all in good fun, that I was just being ill-humored, overly sensitive. The lesson, if there was one, would be not to mention gay stuff in front of Kim.

My nerves settled a little as I ate. My sister-in-law, now saddled with the task of being an apologist for her asshole husband and her son, made a few attempts to interest me in conversation. I politely responded. Things were cordial. I felt calm as the realization overtook me that I had no connection to these people, no tie familial or otherwise, no obligation to ever share a meal with them again, to ever see them again. Life is full of a fair amount of shit, much of which we cannot avoid, but that’s all the more reason to insist on roses from the people who are supposed to love us. I will not accept shit.

After the meal, there was talk of where the next Christmas gathering would be. I never felt more irrelevant and more free. I handed my stepmom $50 for my meal. She said, “Put that away. It’s our treat. We hardly ever see you.”

On the way out, my sister-in-law gave me a big, showy hug, as if to say, “See, we embrace gay people.” I knew she would be embracing her son shortly, way more tightly, telling him not to feel bad. I rode back to my dad’s house with my dad and stepmom. I half expected them to say something about the incident, but they didn’t. It was in the air, but the tone seemed to be “the more quickly forgotten the better.” I knew nothing would ever be different, and there was kind of a sad comfort in that. There was permission to give up the struggle.

When I was alone in my car, I called a gay friend. I was totally calm now, almost laughing. I said, “I have to tell you this awful thing that happened at dinner.” She understood. She had seen it all before. The details varied, but the experience, the emotion, was deeply familiar. She laughed with me and said, “Good for you.”

Then I drove to my mom’s because I had to pick up her dog to watch while she was out of town. I plopped down in her armchair and told her how ill-mannered by brother’s children were. I told her how they made impolite remarks and picked ungraciously at their food, and how their parents said nothing. She winced hearing this, because they are generally better behaved around her. She does not enable assholes. Then I told her about the incident. I said, “And then I told him, ‘I am gay,’” and that — I realized just then — was the first time I had ever said those words to my mother, too. It was known, of course, but I had never said “I am gay.” I said it again. And she blinked back a tear and smiled, “Good for you.”

That’s family.

I will not accept shit.

9 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do not enable ass-holes either.

Your self-control, honesty and integrity at that dinner were a beautiful counter-example to the conduct of all your other relatives.

That your bravery, composure and sensitivty are lost on them does not matter. They are your's for you alone. That's what matters.

Strong work, friend.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Good for you -- and good for your mom.

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an inspiration you are! I'm glad you take no shit.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Such graceful handling of a grim affair. You are quite right to feel that you shouldn’t put up with that from relatives or anyone. For your own sake, you should decline any further invitations politely and with no explanation. You have better things to do with your time and more appreciative people to do them with.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thank you, all, for the support.

I used to think that there was something worthwhile in preserving family relationships, even if they were way less than ideal, or even if they were actually pretty rotten at the core when you stopped to think of it. I think I got this from my mom, who always tried to encourage us to think well of our dad, even though he was so terrible to her. She'd always say that the way he treated her had nothing to do with us, that he loved us, and that "he's your father." But the way he treats her, the way he treats everyone has EVERYTHING to do with us. Ditto for my brother and his son and everyone else. Family doesn't get held to a lower standard of behavior than a run-of-the-mill person. They don't get a pass by virtue of being family. In my book, they get held to a higher standard because they owe you more.

And yes, Rick, I absolutely intend to decline future invitations. The only way I'll go to something is if my mom is there and if it would be important to her that I be there. As you implied, life is too short and too sweet to ever willingly subject yourself to the company of an asshole. I like to imagine you being at that restaurant because I can imagine you after the first or second inappropriate comment (rather than the umpteenth like me) silently getting up and going on your merry way.

Get this. My mom told me that Brian was actually benched at one of his football games for making a homophobic comment to a male cheerleader. That "lesson" hasn't stopped him. Nor will the one I attempted to give him. So it goes. Like asshole like asshole.

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish Brian all the best -- I wish for him a son whom he loves with all his heart who turns out to be gay. That's the way he'll learn. (And for that son I wish a strong constitution and much love from other people, because it will break his heart when his father forsakes him for a time.)

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger kc said...

I wish him well, too. I think, though, the probability is high that his comfort level is always going to be in the dirt.

He has aspirations to go to college and have some high-falutin' career, but no one is ever going to warn him that the high-falutin' professions, by and large, are not composed of rednecks, and that there's a damn good reason for that.

He'll never be in a position to assess history, for example, and ask himself if he were alive at various points who would he have been, based on his values and beliefs: Martin Luther King or Alan Keyes? Gloria Steinem or Anita Bryant? Harvey Milk or Dan White? He would have been history's loser in every case. The Nazi, the McCarthyite, the anti-suffragist, the anti-worker, the homophobe, the wrong thing in every case and stubbornly proud of it. Because he'll never have the wherewithal to make a connection between real values and lasting human greatness. The only values he will ever know and appreciate are the flimsy, self-serving "family values" he learned at home and at "church."

If he does make it to college, he'll seek out his ilk, cling to a mind-numbingly conservative worldview, disdain the smart people and new experiences all around him, and muddle through or drop out.

His measure of success will always be the love of his parents, and his parents will always love most the football-playing, boorish jokester because that's what they're most familiar and comfortable with. That's what they identify as manly and attractive. It'll be a vicious circle of shit enabled and rewarded with love.

Unless, as you mentioned, Sharon, he has something happen like having a gay child, where's there's an equally strong pull on his conscience and his heart. But even then, he could just be like my dad: basically "OK" with the fact that his child is gay, meaning he socializes with and loves that kid, but does not mention "gayness," ever, does not truly support him, doesn't make him feel GOOD about it, does not treat his partner like an in-law, like family, doesn't extend the same courtesies that he does to his heterosexual children and their spouses, does not stand up when someone repeatedly insults his gay child — his child! — at the dinner table and tell that homophobe he is not welcome until he learns some decency.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

I miss your mom. How is she doing?

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

I am glad you took back some power in your family. Jovan likes to say that one has to put their balls on the table if they want to be respected. It sounds crass, but it is true as hell.

I spent 6 hours this week calling New Mexico voters and encouraging them to call their Senators, go to Lobby Day, etc to help pass NM House Bill 28 which is a Domestic Partner Rights and Responsibilities Act (DOMA).

It was amazing.

So many people were supportive of the bill. When I would ask why they ALWAYS said it was "because I have a gay son/daughter/friend/mother/father/brother/friend/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew/cousin." Several followed up with "and he wasn't allowed to be in the hospital room when his partner died."

You probably did more at that dinner than you even intended to. So, from one queer to another, thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home