Friday, November 28, 2008

HOME


OK, it took me forever, but it's fitting that I finished the new Marilynne Robinson novel, "Home," just before the holidays. One, because, not to sound corny, but a novel by Robinson is a gift; she's 65 and has written only three. Two, because this is the time of year when I most strongly feel the pull (or maybe, more precisely, the push) of family and home.

All of Robinson's novels are about family. "Housekeeping," her first, is about an eccentric household of women. "Gilead," her second, written 24 years later, is about an elderly minister and his young second family. "Home" is about a different elderly minister and two of his children, a dutiful daughter and a prodigal son.

I find them fascinating partly because they are not subjects that I personally would explore as a writer — family connections are not as interesting to me as chosen connections — and yet I see so much in her familial observations that makes me pause with wonder and recognition.

Like, in "Home," where a grown man says to his father: "I don't know why I am what I am. I'd have been like you if I could."

Ordinary words that are stunning in their context — the completely satisfying explanation of a mystery by a mystery.

Robinson's grasp of family, and the language she uses in its service, is equal to Shakespeare's. I was delighted to see a humble nod in "Home" to the beautiful lines from "King Lear": "we that are young/shall never see so much, nor live so long."

I had been thinking Robinson's old men were Lear-like, oddly minus the tragic flaws.

Her families live in small towns, where the domestic drama is heightened by the repetition of days, by the lack of distraction. The town described in "Housekeeping" could be all of them: "Fingerbone was never an impressive town. It was chastened by an outsized landscape and extravagant weather, and chastened again by an awareness that the whole of human history had occurred elsewhere."

All of her novels, the latter two explicitly, are about religion, about which she writes with a complexity — and simplicity — reminiscent of the Bible itself. I was always a big believer in the beauty, if not the literal truth, of the Christ story, but I never comprehended the poignancy of Christianity until I read "Gilead." I was familiar with the notion of "ecstasy," the visceral, passionate grasp of Christ, so prevalent in Western, Catholic art, but it was Robinson's homey Protestant tale set in Iowa that made me truly understand the awe — and, in a way, the irrelevance of literal truth. As the narrator of "Gilead" says, "It seems to me that when something really ought to be true then it has a very powerful truth."

Robinson's mastery of story-telling seems one-and-the-same with her spiritual understanding. In "Home," she describes a minister's work as "parsing the broken heart of humankind." But that's the work of a writer, too.

"Home" was the most difficult for me. It is intensely quiet and repetitive, and I didn't have the biblical knowledge to truly appreciate the prodigal son story. The breathtaking beauty of "Gilead's" language becomes more subdued and less elegiac here. We don't have the deeply affecting intimacy of the second-person narrator. At times I'd go for days without picking up "Home," and still I feel it as something to be reckoned with. I don't fully understand the meaning of this book now, but I have this strange faith that I will — like something will happen to me some day and I'll completely, suddenly understand this book.

Robinson has a character in "Home" who's a former teacher. She thinks back on her classroom days and her students:

Why do we have to read poetry? Why "Il Penseroso"? Read it and you'll know why. If you still don't know, read it again. And again. Some of them took the things she said to heart, as she had done once when they were said to her. She was helping them assume their humanity.

Which is exactly what Robinson does for us.

5 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Lovely. You've sold me on Robinson.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger leslie said...

Thank you for reviewing Home so well. Although ultimately I liked the book, I didn't love it like I do her first two. Glory is a wonderful character. I was deeply disappointed, however, in how flat Mr. and Mrs. Ames were. I was hoping to learn more intimate details of Mrs. Ames, since she and Jack seem to form a true friendship in Gilead.

That said, writers don't come better than Robinson, in my opinion. There are tons of examples of this in Home, but one of my favorites:

"She dreamed of a real home for herself and the babies, and the fiance, a home very different from this good and blessed and fustian and oppressive tabernacle of Boughton probity and kind intent."

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, you'd love Robinson, especially "Gilead" and "Housekeeping." Robinson's presentaion of religion (which I think is really just about cultivating a profound appreciation for mere existence) is something you'd enjoy. Her language, especially in "Gilead," reminds me a lot of Sebastian Barry's. It's so genuine and lyrical and suffused with that same wisdom-won-from-sorrow.

Leslie, thanks for dubbing a heap of inadequate praise a "review." I didn't love "Home" as well, either, but Robinson's so good that I'm prone to think failure to appreciate is my fault, not hers.

Having said that, I agree that Glory was a great character. I felt so much more affinity for her than for Jack, and I wish we were told more about her past. The narrator seemed to regard Glory's past as she herself did — as some kind of residue that was still an influence but that was losing shape and detail over time. I wanted to know more.

Yes, and the Ames! They seemed like very different characters than they did in "Gilead." I was disappointed that so much was glossed over there. There were such wonderful hints that Mrs. Ames had a deep fire in her soul, that she had a powerful kinship with the prodigal Jack. I almost wondered whether Robinson was mimicking life by leaving crucial relations half-formed, promises of excitement unfulfilled. But that's probably not the case.

"Home" seems like the relatively mild third-person narration, the outside story, that only blossoms with the poetic first-person meditations of Ames in "Gilead" — the difference between live observed and life lived, and how seemingly quiet exteriors house smoldering emotion.

And the Rev. Ames! Wow. I loved him so much in "Gilead," and he just seemed so featureless here. You would have no indication of his depth and passion if you hadn't read "Gilead" first. His pull on Jack and vice versa is so monumental in the mind of each, but it remains oblique to the reader.

Any thoughts on why the wife's race is not divulged until the very end of "Home," even though we know it from "Gilead"?

What did you think of the slow, repetitive passage of days, with Glory quietly worrying, Jack guardedly coming up and down the stairs and in and out the door, the slow revelations that aren't really revelations, the understated suicide attempt, the old man moving back and forth between bed and table? Food and sleep and worries and melancholy joys.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger leslie said...

I did find myself annoyed with Robinson for trying to build suspense regarding Jack's wife, when I assume the vast majority of Home readers already know the secret. It felt cheap to me. I've tried removing myself a bit, wondering what my reaction would be to Home if I'd not read Gilead yet. I do love slow, quiet books. The language of the book is lovely, absolutely top shelf, so part of me thinks I would have liked it much more without Gilead.

That said, sometimes you can feel the writer's contract deadline in a work, and I can't help but think that's the problem with Home, ultimately. It's a story with great potential, but it glosses over some important characters and pulls a cheap trick in regard to Jack's wife. If Robinson had taken a couple more years with it, the book would be better, I think.

On the positive side, I love how Robinson conveys the relationship of characters within their home (both with material things and in relation to people in town), and I think she nails Midwestern acceptance and fear of imposition squarely on the head. I also liked how the father's irritation grew throughout the work. He knew he was running out of time and was not at peace with that. For a character who didn't do much, I think he created the most emotion and tension, for me.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger kc said...

Good points all around. Robinson really is a poet of all things Midwestern. It's lovely. The relationship of characters within their home, as you said, is really great, and the father's complicated but primal love for his children is so moving and well done. One of my favorite scenes is when the three of them get in the old car and go for a spin. They all seem so childlike and world-weary at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home