Friday, June 09, 2006

LIVING LIKE WHITE PEOPLE

I live in a really old house. Not by East Coast standards, certainly. But by Kansas standards, it's damn ancient: 1860s. This town was only a few years old when Col. John Wakefield baked a few tons of clay bricks in my backyard and threw together this humble pile.

The colonel will get his own post some day. The old Indian killer. He was a renaissance man without benefit of a renaissance. He was a military spy, an author, a surgeon, a judge, a tavern owner, a framer of this state's constitution, a state treasurer, a friend of Abe Lincoln's, with whom he served in the Illinois Legislature. And a whole bunch of other stuff. By all accounts, he was a Free-Stater, but not an abolitionist, which means he didn't object to enslaving black people so much as he objected to interference with "state's rights." (Sound familiar?)

But I didn't know any of that when I bought this place. All I knew was that of the houses I looked at and could afford, this was the only one — crappy as it was — that was bigger than a matchbook and that was in a relatively decent neighborhood. Historic interest played no role. I got this house because no one else wanted it. I was the lone bidder — OK, idiot — in an otherwise booming real estate market.

But four years later, it's my home. It's gone from a filthy, bat-infested hovel with barely any running water to a comfy little abode with modern amenities. I live in the whole house now, not just one tiny room while the others are under construction. When my friend Rick saw it a few years ago, he said it would be a great place to make a movie about drug addicts. He was trying to put a positive spin on the squalor I was living in, bless his heart. I don't think he'd make the heroin flophouse reference now, unless his script included some better-heeled junkies.

Anyway, the transformation of the house deserves a post of its own — no, a blog of its own. But for now I was just pondering the place and its past because of a major purchase I made Monday: a central air-conditioning unit. I have made many modernizing improvements to the house, but this, the AC, seems like the most significant.

The new water lines were good, to be sure. And the new underground electricity. And the rebuilt window sashes. The new walls were a plus, as was the actual indoor bathroom. And a working washer and dryer. And the kitchen appliances; I'm gaga over my Bosch gas range. But an air conditioner! That is something Col. Wakefield could not have fathomed. That is something that changes your whole way of life.

I didn't get one sooner because I thought of it as a luxury, something I could do without as long as there were other necessities to buy. But this summer I became officially spoiled.

Check out my new unit here. It's worth every one of the 358,000 pennies I spent on it. I can live in the whole house now, not just the room with the noisy, tiny window unit. I can turn on the oven without the temperature soaring to 100 degrees. I can have friends over and feel confident that they're comfortable. I can bathe and not break into a sweat five minutes later. I can watch the dogs doze, cool as cucumbers on the kitchen floor. It's Kansas, for pete's sake. Air conditioning is not a luxury.

According to his obit in the local paper and his online biography, Wakefield died in this house on June 18, 1873. It must have been a hot fuckin' day to die. I picture him suffering in a sweat in what is now my dining room until he finally expired of "gravel," or what we call kidney stones. Can you even imagine? I'm sure a light bulb would have struck him as nifty and a dishwasher would have tickled his fancy. But central air? That would really impress a man dying in excruciating pain on a summer day.

My dad, who I like to think would have been a Wakefield in his day — a bumbling old racist with a core of decency and a lust for life — has always been dubious about my home-restoration project. He couldn't see the charm, just the inconvenience. Just the moldy plaster and the ancient plumbing and the Dumpsters full of debris. He's come around a little, but his occasional greeting used to be, "When are you going to start living like white people?" which became a running joke between me and my girlfriend, who was gracious enough to see through the veneer of his bigotry.

I've learned how the thermostat works now, but the other day I had it so cold in here that I found myself wishing the house had one of its original fireplaces. Then I could crank the AC in summer and light a fire just for atmosphere, just like doddering old Nixon did in the White House while the country fell apart.

God help me, I've arrived!

15 Comments:

At 4:36 AM, Blogger george said...

Other reason your house is awesome:

It's the only one on the block that's brick.

The backyard is a Tallgrass Prairie preserve.

Free wireless Internet.

Even with the new AC, the front porch is still the coolest place in Lawrence.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Ben said...

If you truly want to live like the white man, you've got to get rid of your American Indian friends. You already got rid of Beth, now you've got to stop inviting George over.

I can't wait to experience the coolness. I mean, your house was already the coolest, but now it can also be the coldest. And we won't have to spend all our time in the bedroom anymore.

(For anyone who may not have known it: The lone window unit was in the bedroom.)

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger cl said...

The front porch rocks, and the place is beautiful. And it's so CLEAN.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Erin said...

AC is one thing I would not live without. I'm amazed you held out so long.

Maybe my favorite thing about your house: the windows. Big and old and fabulous.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger kc said...

Tallgrass prairie preserve? OK, wiseguy, next time I'm slaving over your dinner you can haul your ass outside and mow the yard.

Speaking of mow, I still cackle out loud when I think of that imitation you did of Rupert: "I just got mowed!"

Yes, as Benjie points out, my bedroom was the only room in the house that wasn't sizzling.

Christy, you're a dear friend. Thank you for not looking beyond the veneer of clean, where lies a sea of dog hair and undusted furniture.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger george said...

Hey, I'm just saying what Kansas calls Tallgrass prairie is what the rest of the world calls weeds.

And I figured you tried to mow, but missed the grass and hit Rupert instead. Living like white people means you have to hire someone of color to do your yard work. But since I'm only half ethnic, I can either only do the front or back yard, or do a half-assed job on both. I'll be too busy smoking my peace pipe to work very hard.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger kc said...

Oh, good call. Plus you're half Russian. I don't want you out in my yard swilling vodka and spouting Communist propaganda to my neighbors.

Beth brought up an interesting point this morning. She said she was offended by the phrase "woman of color" because all women are some color or another, and, more to the point, no one ever says a "man of color."

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger george said...

I might swill vodka and spout Communist propaganda to your neighbors? Who says I'm not doing that already? (It's lots of fun.)

It is true what Beth said: I've never heard the phrase man of color. Weird.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Ben said...

George, with your (real) heritage you should work at a nail salon. Or work at half a nail salon. Or part-time. Whatever.

And you don't hear "man of color" because there are so much more colorful words for men of color. And if you don't want to be offensive when you point out that a man is "of color," you can always just comment on how well spoken he is.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous house! The older ones have so much character, and that's not a euphemism. Seriously, I don't understand people who would choose one of those cookie cutter subdivisions over a house like yours. Well -- maybe the restoration is too much or something. But still. Congratulations on the AC. I didn't have any last summer, and it was almost unbearable. After we closed on our condo at the end of July, we immediately moved in the mattress so we could sleep in AC ASAP.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger cl said...

Maybe you should move that extra TV into your bedroom and pop in "Mary Poppins."

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Ben said...

That reminds me--Erin made me install a shower before she moved into our house.

The tub wasn't good enough.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Ben said...

The extra TV is in the bedroom.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger george said...

No, if I worked at a nail salon, I'd only do left hands.

I was planning to blog about which half of me is which ethnicity. You can tell by my suntan.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Yes, no doubt that you are way beyond the league of the crank heads now. There might, perhaps, be a few heroin addicts who hold down regular jobs who could afford your house. But not a one of them could have put in all the hours you did to create such a fine restoration. Great job.

Considering the lean-to that was the original “bathroom”, if you had asked me if the new bathroom wasn’t a bigger boon than central air, I’d have said yes. But your story about the colonel dying a sweaty death makes me reconsider. Of course, it is better yet to have both.

Still, add me the list of those who like the porch best. Not only is that porch something you don’t find in the suburbs, but you also live on an interesting enough street that it is worth hanging out on the porch just to see who or what might go by. That’s truly civilized living for people of any ol’ color.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home