Sunday, December 24, 2006

MERRY MOTS

Here are some feel-good items for your holiday:


• We have a story in today's paper about road rage. A woman in it says: “I think we’re particularly prone to project our feeling of anger or stress on strangers at this time of year." That made me think of something that happened last week. I was up at my campus office, and the professor across the hall had a brash young woman standing in the doorway yacking at him. She spoke authoritatively, rapidly and nonstop on any number of subjects: how she hated long lines at Wal-Mart, how people with big-screen TV's are tacky "when you think about it," how she couldn't stand doing laundry — especially folding it, how she couldn't figure out retroactive graduation requirements, how she was allergic to lipstick but felt naked without it, etc. The professor, a very genteel and spiffily dressed gentleman, said nary a word the whole time. Occasionally he would let out an "uh-huh" or "I know"; otherwise, I would have thought the woman was talking her own leg off. I couldn't close my door because I was waiting for people to come by, and her voice was so loud that the mere thickness of the door wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Plus, I was beginning to develop a freak-show type interest in what she would say next. Her main topic of conversation was how she might have to miss some schoolwork on account of a bogus report to child welfare services; seems there was some dispute about whether an "accident" with her son happened at home or at the daycare. Not the sort of thing I would be yammering about for all and sundry to hear, but that's just me. I was dying to see the look on the dapper professor's face. Was he suppressing a scream? Was he offering silent prayers of "shut up, shut up, please God, shut up"? Was he doing his best to look sympathetic? Should I help him out by interrupting and saying I needed to talk to him? How long before he cuts her off with oh my gosh, look at the time? Finally the woman concludes her child-welfare tale by saying, "So if I don't show up for the final, you know I'm in jail!" Then — boom! — without pause she moves on to another subject: driving. Apparently one of her "major, major all-time pet peeves" is people who are timid about making left turns. She can't stand it. "I've had to give so many people the finger lately because they can't drive. I had to flip off my neighbor earlier this week right after she backed out of the driveway, and the week before I had to flip off the superintendent of schools on 23rd Street." That's when the gentle professor finally breaks through his polite facade and says, "Oh my gosh, I know what you mean. I had to flip off an idiot yesterday in the Target parking lot."


• I saw a "sold" sign in a co-worker's yard. I drive by her lovely turn-of-the-century home often on my way to the grocery store. My co-worker and her husband have fully refurbished it, inside and out, in a very tasteful and pleasing way — an obvious labor of love. I was shocked that they were selling it. Having dealt with my own fixer-upper — in a similar neighborhood on the older, east side of town — I know a little bit about the financial and emotional investment, and I can't imagine selling my house. Ever. Even if I move to another state, I would do everything in my power to keep it. It means that much to me. So I was very eager when I ran into my co-worker last week to see what the story was. Since she just had a baby, I had a vague and disappointing suspicion that she was packing up and making a soccer-mom-to-be pilgrimage to the newer, "nicer," beiger side of town. Another one bites the dust. I say, "Hey, what's with the sold sign?" And sure enough, she tells me that they bought a bigger place on the west side. She says it's "safer" for the baby because there's not a creek in the backyard. She starts describing how neat the house is, but I find it hard to pay attention over my deafening thoughts of "traitor! sell-out! suburban Philistine!" And then I'm drawn out of my head by a question. She asks, "Didn't you used to live on Forrest?" I answer yes. Forrest is a street by her old, beautiful home. She says, "We were walking there the other night, and there were these three black guys standing around smoking weed." I think, "Oh no, here we go." But then she says: "I'm really going to miss that. Friendly neighbors who hang on the porch. Ella's just not going to get that diversity in the new neighborhood, and it's really a shame."

9 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Blogger george said...

Yeah, if you ever do lose your mind and sell your house, it better be to me!

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to flip off an idiot yesterday in the Target parking lot.

That may be the funniest anecdote I've ever heard!

Erin says it's even funnier for people who know J.H.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And even if it makes me sound silly, I'm going to say exactly what I'm thinking: The second anecdote was wonderfully heart-warming.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

“...beiger side of town.” Exactly.

I’ve never thought that neighborhood watch signs ever amounted to much. But if you had a sign up saying that there were a lot of stoners in the neighborhood hanging out on front porches, well, then, the thieves would know that somebody really was watching.

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mom said that some lady yelled at her in Wal-Mart last night and accused her of cutting in line at the check-out. Then she wrinkled up her face and thrusted her cart at my mom, like she was going to hit her with it. My mom was aghast.

It's unbelievable to me that this co-worker will be happy in the soulless sea of beige.

 
At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The houses and the cars and the people are beige. A few years ago, when I was wishfully Windows-shopping for new cars, I noticed that Hondas now come in ten colors: black, white, red, green, silver, and five beiges. I'm not kidding. I don't know if it's still like that, but it was a few years ago.

 
At 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The race element of neighborhoods reminds me of a Dave Barry column that was centered around (if you can believe it) the n-word.

He had a black neighbor who said Dave was a "downwardly-mobile honky" while calling himself an "upwardly-mobile nigger." The column was about how the mild insult didn't make him nearly as uncomfortable as the n-word.

We own several Dave Barry books (from the Contemporary Authors: Barry and Keillor class Erin and I took together). I'll see if I can find that column.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Ben, those different cars are actually road colored. The carmakers helpfully offer a range of shades from dark to light so that no matter if you are on new pavement or old, there is going to be a camouflaged car lurking somewhere about. But think about, more car crashes mean more car sales.

And another question. If everything else in those neighborhoods is beige, why do the neighbors complain if your grass is beige too?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger cl said...

I bet that girl flipped off the superintendent at 23rd and Ousdahl.

JH has the most beautiful manners. I wish I'd overheard that tirade.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home