Friday, March 30, 2007

SOMETHING IMPORTANT IS HAPPENING!



There are few things I enjoy more than making bread.

If I'm puttering around the house and need to feel like I'm doing something, I sling some yeast into a bowl of water, get out the flour and salt and dust up the countertop. Working my knuckles into the soft dough fulfills some primitive urge.

And as long as bread is rising in the kitchen — even if I'm lazing on the couch — I feel like something important is happening. Someting is being accomplished.

The first real bread maker I knew was Rick. Occasionally my mom would make some sort of homemade bread, usually something quick without yeast. And the lunch ladies at my small, rural school made dinner rolls from scratch. My favorite lunch as a kid was "pig in the blanket" — a hot dog encased in a giant, soft, freshly baked bun.

But Rick was the first person I ever knew who loved making bread, who really delighted in the process from beginning to end and thought hard on how to improve the next batch. He made circular loaves in coffee cans using a sourdough starter he brought home from Africa. He experimented with different fats and flour and molasses and yogurt and herbs. I'd go over to his apartment and there'd be a dozen brown loaves cooling on the countertop. The fragrance would make you weep. And nothing was better than the sight of butter melting into the round slices, except the taste.

My ex-husband, Steve, was also a bread man. He got a hankering once to make a baguette at home, and I thought he was crazy. Who is qualified to make French bread at home? Don't you have to have a special oven? And equipment and ingredients? Don't you have to be French, for Pete's sake? It reminded me of when his mother, in one of those ridiculous cost-saving measures that bored, well-to-do housewives are so mysteriously susceptible to, tried to make "Heinz" ketchup at home. A complete disaster.

But Steve was determined, and before long he had learned to make a long, beautiful, tasty loaf of golden goodness — and it was authentic to boot: no ingredients except water, white flour, salt and yeast. The variables are rising time and humidity and oven temperature and a lot of little factors he loved to obsess over. (Come to think of it, Steve and Rick also made homemade beer and I've heard lengthy discourses from each on the miracles and vagaries of yeast. God, I love men who make things — how they combine their boyish passion for science and erector sets and "how things work" into something so delightfully domestic and earthy as bread and beer).

One Christmas, my parents bought us a bread machine. We used it maybe a dozen times before I gave it to Goodwill. The bread was passable, but not exceptional, and if you don't get your hands gooey making bread, then you haven't really made bread.

So my favorite thing to do on my day off is to mix up some dough — like that which became the Irish brown bread pictured above — to get my fingers all sticky with goodness and wait for the miracle. Sometimes I get the hankering rather late in the day, so I don't have a finished product until almost midnight. And I have no one to share it with. Thank God!

17 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I love homemade bread! And I used to love making it. (Mine was usually for homemade pizza.) I should make bread again.

I don't want this to sound too demanding, but could you please make us some bread sometime when we're at your house? I would love that sooooooo much!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Wow, that bread looks goooooood.

My grandma makes fab-u-lous bread. French bread, dinner rolls, zwieback, dill rolls. I'm sort of embarrassed to say I've never tried it myself.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, make some bread this instant! You have a tradition to uphold, young lady! How do you think your grandma attracts all those boyfriends?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger kc said...

Ben, you make a pretty good pizza. You should definitely put that talent to use more often.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Ben said...

This is the second time in the last few weeks that I've tried to make a comment on your blog and it didn't show up later. I wonder if maybe I'm previewing it and forgetting to post it.

Anyway, all I said was thank you for the compliment, and I'll make pizza for you again sometime.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

yeah, that bread DOES look goooooood.

The best bread I've had was given to me after the performances of Bread & Puppet in Vermont. I worked with them for a week when I lived in Minneapolis and I saw a show here in Georgia recently. They make bread during the day and then we all eat it after the show with this stuff on it that's made of oil and garlic - like the most GARLIC of garlic you'd ever eat. One small, small piece and your breath smells like garlic for a couple days. And it's awesome.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yeah, I'm sure your girlfriend thought that was awesome!

Bread and Puppets is a fantastic idea.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger kc said...

We had a very cool priest when I was kid. He looked sort of like Jesus and the rooms where we had cathechism were all full of big hippie pillows. He made wheat bread and used little bites of it for the eucharist instead of the usual hard, white wafers. Very cool. He also let little girls be altar "boys."

Then he moved away, and some old crotchety, conservative dude who never smiled took over. He reintroduced the white wafers, and made sure the sourness of his own life touched everything around him.

And that's my feel-good bread story for today.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger cl said...

My stomach is growling. That looks magnificent.

Don't feel bad, Erin. I don't make bread, either. I think I made some with a friend for a Christmas project when I was 10 or 11, but she knew her way around the kitchen, and I was relegated to assisting. Although I do think she had Coke and Pepsi in the house, so we did those taste tests to prove which was better.

(Coke.)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger cl said...

I would love to homemade pizza crust, though. I hate the rubbery ready-made ones at the store.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Since summer is rolling around, everybody should do pizzas on the barbeque grill. For the crust, I do whole wheat, but white flour would work too. The key is have your crust rolled out pretty thin and do not make pizzas bigger than about a medium dinner plate in size. Although it is a yeast dough, you want to put them on the grill rolled flat not risen. If you want, make your dough up ahead of time and roll it out and store in the fridge between layers of plastic wrap.

I grill up several heads of garlic until they are soft and smoky and put these in a red sauce with lots and lots of basil. Have your red sauce hot in a pan. Then grill up a bunch of veggies like red and green peppers, red onions, zucchini, eggplant, or anything else that grills well. Chop them up after grilling. Then to do your pizza, put a crust on the grill and flip it over after about three minutes or when it starts to brown. It might swell with big bubbles that can be poked to flatten it back out. After you flip it, you must work fast. Spread some sauce, toss on the veggies and some cheese and close the lid. Your pizza will be done when the bottom browns which will only be three to five minutes.

A few hints: this works much better on a grill with a lid that an open one. You want a medium heat. And since you have to get all the ingredients on really fast, this is a great one for a dinner party where you can give everybody an ingredient that they are responsible for throwing on. Have a stack of crusts rolled out and your pot of hot sauce, and you can turn out these small pizzas at a fast clip.

This will be better than any pizza you have ever had.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

And kc, don’t you know that the best thing about homemade bread is giving it away? It is not much more effort to make ten loaves than to make two, but ten will make a lot more people happy.

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger kc said...

How do you keep the pizza crust from sticking to the grill? (You better respond to this before you leave town! I want to make one of these pizzas on my new patio! Which you have to come see! Soon!)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

I want to see your new patio!

Grilled pizza. That's just fun.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That pizza sounds fantastic! We must try that, kc.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger kc said...

Yes, bring your grill. Don't forget the lid!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Oh, I’m glad you asked that since I forgot to say that I brush the grill with a bit of olive oil right before putting the crust down. You could use a pastry brush, but I use a very cheap disposable china bristle brush from the hardware store.

A pizza party on the patio! Perfect.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home