Wednesday, April 16, 2008

THAT'S MY DILLUNS


This sign somehow says everything you need to know about my grocery store — a place where patrons need written reminders about appropriate behavior.

No shirt, no shoes, no service. And by the way, said shoes must be wheel-less.

This sign is at the store's entrance. There are two identical warnings inside the door, in case you roll right past the first one in your haste to procure cigarettes and bologna.

The other day, some juvenile delinquent, in broad daylight, was altering the exterior sign to say "NO HOES WITH HEELS." Funny, right?

But that actually reminded me of the one time I had seen someone in the store with wheeled shoes. It was a grown woman, quite conceivably a hoe, with actual roller skates, which I believe are a subset of "SHOES WITH WHEELS." She was about 6'5" with the skates, but her presence was even larger. She came banging through the electronic doors roller-derby style and rumbled right over to the milk case, where she proceeded to spin in tight circles, ankles splayed, while waiting for her companion, whose shoes lacked wheels, to catch up. They both wore tiny cutoffs and spaghetti-strapped tank tops. Both were heavily tattooed. Their extreme excitement over the chocolate milk suggested an altered state of mind. They could have been sisters. Or maybe lovers. Possibly they were mother and daughter. Or maybe they had just met within the hour. It was impossible to tell. After I left the dairy section, I caught glimpses of them steamrolling down various aisles, the wheeled one grabbing this and that shelf to slow her momentum on the corners, the unwheeled one laughing hysterically.

It was the best thing I saw all week.

Sometime after that, the "NO SHOES WITH WHEELS" signs appeared, but I don't know whether it was in response to these two lovelies or to something more pernicious like schoolchildren with those Junior James Bond sneakers with the hidden wheels. (They are walking alongside you and then they are magically gliding, like tiny changelings. It's unsettling.) In any event, this wheeled shoe problem apparently became so widespread as to require a written ban. I have not seen such a sign at any other grocery store, so I am inclined to think this is an issue peculiar not to children but to my store's unruly adult clientele. Again, the boring beige people are targeting what little color remains in this town!

Perhaps, to be fair, the sign came on the heels of some horrific accident, like some innocent, unwheeled shopper being sideswiped by a wheeled one and falling headlong into a pyramid of pork and beans.

Or perhaps the wheels are a menace to the flooring. But really, what could damage the floor more than a steady parade of out-of-kilter shopping carts laden with mounds of hamburger and frozen pizzas? And if they are trying to protect the floor, couldn't they have just left up the most recent — and elegant — defacement of their sign: "NO SHOES"?

7 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

tiny changelings

Oh my God, that is so funny and apt.

In my most recent trip to a shoe store, I overheard a salesman telling a young would-be changeling that the wheeled-shoe trend was "dying out." The little boy was visibly pained to hear this news.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

I’m sure that all the problems I’ve ever had trace ultimately to the fact that I didn’t have such shoes as a kid. How could such wonderful footware die out?

KC, it is high time you organize a “wheel-in” at that store to protest this oppression by the people-who-say-no. Or, if you organize a full blown roller-derby, I’ll even come back and join in. That would be an event not to miss.

And anyway, why would Lawrence aspire to something as insane as becoming a miniature Johnson County. I mean the state already has one of those why make another?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger cl said...

"She was about 6'5" with the skates, but her presence was even larger. She came banging through the electronic doors roller-derby style and rumbled right over to the milk case ...

Oh, my god. Why didn't you ask her out?

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger cl said...

I think "NO HOES WITH HEELS" is sort of funny. Would anyone at the "Stepford Wives" Dilluns at 6th and Wak even blink if that were posted outside?

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger cl said...

Those wheeled shoes aren't dying out, though I wonder if they had a recent resurgence. In spring 2001, my last year of teaching, those shoes surfaced in early May. Kids would come careening down my hallways, where my classroom was the last to the left of a two-story staircase. If I were standing outside, I would scream for them to slow down (tact, pleasantries and rationale no longer effective behavior management techniques), or if they whizzed by my open door when I was far back at my desk, I would cross myself that no clatter would erupt as some kid broke his neck on the way down a flight of steps.

That was to be the administration's big student policy decision ahead of the next school year.

Anyway, are they back, or have they never left? I wouldn't mind a pair for myself now that I don't have to act responsibly ...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger cl said...

DW, surely they have them in adult sizes. They would be worth a tryout.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger kc said...

the "Stepford Wives" Dilluns

Oh my God. I've never heard that. How fabulous.

cl, I'd love to see your last-resort teaching management techniques in action. Hehe

I must say, a traditional roller skate appeals to me mightily, but not the wheeled shoe per se.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home