Sunday, December 21, 2008

FAILED ADDICTION


Every now and again I get the urge to read a good mystery. This is despite the fact that I'm inevitably disappointed.

I'm always jealous of people who seem to find deep satisfaction in binge-reading a particular genre. It would be nice to have something like that in your life. I had an English professor in college who was addicted to sci-fi. His bread and butter was 18th century British literature, but his drug of choice was sci-fi pulp. He claimed to have a colleague in the department who spent every spare second reading ultra-trashy romance novels. I've never grasped the joy that someone who studies great literature (you know, the thoughtful stuff that requires time and effort and talent to make) would find in reading a pile of crap that took some hack with a dumb pseudonym about three days to type up. It doesn't make sense to me. But still I'm jealous. They're able to suspend a critical faculty in their brains and enjoy a thing on its own terms.

And it's not slumming. That I would sort of get. But it's nothing as self-conscious and cynical, and ultimately judgmental, as that. It's genuine pleasure without reference to a context of "value."

My ex-husband, a wise professional man, into his 30s (and probably still), would come home from the public library on weekends with an armful of sci-fi and fantasy paperbacks. He would lie on the couch completely immersed in some idiotic-when-you-really-stop-and-think-about-it tale of robots or androids or asteroids. His sense of contentment appeared almost religious. There was literally NOTHING he would have been happier doing at that moment. Which, of course, made me crazy jealous. I wanted my own complete-waste-of-time to lose myself in.

So from time to time I've tried to get myself hooked on mysteries. The other genres — romance, sci-fi, fantasy, western, true crime, whatever — just aren't going to do it for me. But the mystery genre has potential. I can become deeply engrossed in a good mystery. Who couldn't, really? But if I start reading some mystery novel and I notice a bunch of cliches or poorly described scenes (like "when he arrived at the morgue, Oswald found the coroner eating a meatball sandwich"), then I get restless and start losing interest in who died or how it happened or who did it.

A few weeks ago I saw an ad in The New York Review of Books for a smart mystery by an "energetic and imaginative British author," so I bought the book, and then about 200 lackluster pages into it I had this epiphany that, because I work for a publication, I should have had at page 5: "Wait a minute! Anyone can put an ad in The New York Review of Books." And calling a mystery British doesn't make it better. I fall for that every single time.

So I give up. I just don't have the genre-reading gene. I will have to stick to my usual ways of wasting time. I just wish they were more absorbing.

•••

Another thing: How do books break out of the genre identity and become "literature"? Why is "Rebecca" in the general literature section at Borders instead of with the other mysteries? Ditto "The Name of the Rose"? Who decides? One would think the principle is "if it's a really, really good mystery that people who read literature but not mysteries per se would also want to read, then it goes in literature." But when I was trying to find Tolkien the other day I went straight to the literature section and found zilch. The friendly Borders clerk told me Tolkien was only in fantasy. Huh? I don't get it. I suspect a system of misclassification, coupled with a tradition of highly exaggerated blurbs of praise, is keeping me from discovering the books I really want to read.

9 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger leslie said...

I think I might be married to your ex-husband! (That is so cool!) Did he like vampire novels, too?

I also struggle with this. So when I finally join the nation and fall in love with something en masse—like SpongeBob Squarepants—I get so excited. Me too! Me too! I love it too! Not because I think of myself as uber-intellectual (I don't—I definitely can't carry my weight in that area, either). I'm just happy that my cynicism hasn't completely alienated me from everyone on the pop culture planet.

In my record store years, I used to bitch (and still do) about the classifications: rock, pop, soul, hip hop, etc. I can see segmenting nonfiction, but the rest should be by author, letter for letter.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger kc said...

No, he wasn't too big on vampires, but he had old D&D friends who were.

I know! I get feelings of finally-belonging, too, like when I felt briefly enamored of the Harry Potter franchise. My interest waned after the second or third book, alas. And I had a short-lived "this is genius" epiphany about "Dancing with the Stars," which was quickly followed by a "this is a pretty stupid way to spend an evening" epiphany.

I think my problem is that once I started feeling "manipulated" by something that starts seeming like a "product," I begin to feel resentful and lose interest.

Is it really possible to browse in a store for books and music anymore? There's just so much stuff. I'm not advocating less stuff, really, but it's kind of overwhelming.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Erin said...

In middle school I was totally addicted to the Mary Higgins Clark mysteries. I read them all. And then I outgrew them. As an adult I could never stomach the cliches and bad writing.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger kc said...

Mary Higgins Clark, huh? I had a pretty big thing for the Hardy Boys. I wonder how those hold up.

Can you ever totally lose yourself in something that you KNOW is kind of crappy by any reasonable standards? Like people who truly enjoy watching terrible movies.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger cl said...

Erin, same Mary Higgins Clark problem. I think until the last few novels I would give the new ones a try. They weren't good, but they were kind of like a hit of my teenage years. Like Clearly Canadian. A nostalgic product that upsets the stomach.

To her credit, which is why "Loves Music ..." was my favorite, she often focused on friendships over romance. Like winning a man wasn't the ulterior motive of the book.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger cl said...

Kim, I think their classification system is really bizarre. Go to William Faulkner, and a row down there's Helen Fielding. Not literature. But popular? (Well, once popular.) I wouldn't be surprised if it's all based on their sale rankings on Amazon.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger cl said...

Which Agatha Christie would you like first: "A Cat Among the Pigeons" (murder at a girls school!) or "Funerals are Fatal" (dysfunctional upper-class family)? Both are stellar in my opinion.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger kc said...

Ooh, now see, those both sound like something I'd love.

Agatha Christie really is the towering figure in the genre, isn't she?

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger cl said...

She is. But I haven't given Dorothy Sayers a chance. I think I'll bring you "Funerals are Fatal."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home