Tuesday, June 13, 2006

DEATH BE NOT DEBASED

I went to a funeral yesterday, and I don't know what to make of this. The minister, like a slightly shady salesman or a PR rep for the Grim Reaper, was trying to make a case that the event was a "celebration." He talked for a long time, in a way that seemed too rehearsed — how many times had he made this spiel? — about how when he first started preaching, the term for events like this — you know, events where a loved one stops living and lies in a flower-strewn box in a sob-filled room waiting to be put in the ground forever — used to be called "funerals." And then sometime later in his career the word became "memorial," and now it's "celebration." He seemed quite taken with this notion — he was even grinning — like he had found the perfect spin to put on this catastrophe. He even made the outrageous claim that the deceased wasn't "victimized" by death but was a "victor" because now he was with the Lord. Gee, I wonder when my uncle was dying in his hospice bed whether his wife cheered him on every time he took a turn for the worse: "Honey, you're winning! You're in the lead! Keep it up! Victory is within reach!"

Poppycock.

If Mr. Feelgood wanted to celebrate Fay's passing, he wouldn't have filled the funeral parlor with psychobabble and tried to get everyone to smile. He would have said: Death is terrible. It is pain. It is loss. It is crushing sadness. There is nothing in your life that will feel worse. And it's fitting and proper to feel grief.

Grief is the loved one's due.

I'm not advocating years of mourning and black dresses and debilitating suffering. But can't people just feel terribly sad when something terribly sad happens? Isn't that a better, more honest, coping mechanism in the long run than telling yourself lies about how it's really a positive thing and you should just turn that frown upside down!

And instead of the cheap self-help lingo he was polluting the event with, if he wanted to celebrate this sunny occasion, he could have spent a little time actually talking about Fay instead of making analogies about sheep and the Lord being our shepherd and — I kid you not — how he had worked with actual sheep one summer and knew firsthand how they needed guidance. He could have talked about the three Bronze Stars Fay won in World War II after he was shipped off to the Pacific at age 19. He was just a kid from Mountain Grove, Mo., who knew nothing about the world and — Jesus! —found himself in Japan shooting guns and making history. And about how he loved ham radios and playing the fiddle and harmonica. How he made his own root beer and whittled on the front porch and laughed all the time and slapped his knees at off-color jokes. That's what people want to hear, so why is that such a small part of the "celebration"? Because, unlike a belabored metaphor about Jesus' footprints, it will actually touch people, it will make them cry, it will make them grieve?

Grief is his due.

If this minister wanted to truly "celebrate" Fay, he could have tossed the canned feel-good oration and gotten some material from people who knew him. People I saw at the funeral like:

• The World War II veterans. These men have stories. Working at a newspaper, I read obituaries all the time of men from this generation, many of whose whole identities were poignantly wrapped up in being a soldier. These were humble, working-class men who belonged to only one club their whole lives: the VFW. Let them talk.

• The long-bearded fiddlers and pickers in plaid shirts who made music with him.

• The townspeople who knew him as the carpet layer from the hardware store.

• The Missouri relatives whose best clothing for the occasion was starched blue jeans and polished cowboy boots.

• The friend who let him, and others in their tiny community, be buried on his land for free.

• My aging Aunt Louise, his sister-in-law who played cards with him every week, who, when someone at the funeral expressed condolences, said too loudly (but gloriously), "Well, we're all getting close." (Now that's something that genuinely made people feel better about the situation).

• His wife, for pete's sake, of 57 years.

When my grandpa died, his funeral was a Catholic Mass. And the priest, who was new to the parish, didn't know him very well, but made an authentic effort to celebrate his life by talking to people who did. He found out things about my grandpa that even I didn't know. And the Mass itself, though ritualistic and impersonal in nature, at least was an honest-to-God funeral, a somber observance of someone's death.

And it's not a matter of denomination; it's a matter of dignity.

Here's my promise to those of you I may outlive: I will be sad at your funeral. I won't put a sunny spin on it. I will give you the grief that is your due, instead of trying to make myself feel better with a bunch of psychobabble. And if someone who hardly knew you tries to celebrate your life by talking about Jesus for an hour — mentioning you only occasionally — I will make it right.

(OK, that's off my chest, so if you want to read something fun, check out Ricky's new hippie post below).

17 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Blogger cl said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. You ought to have given the service instead.

"He seemed quite taken with this notion — he was even grinning — like he had found the perfect spin to put on this catastrophe."

That is outrageous.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I've been to funerals like that before. It's truly a disservice to the deceased and their family members.

Probably the best funeral I've been to was my grandpa's, where the minister read a couple of verses and gave some basic biography for my grandpa, and then various family members got up and talked about their favorites memories of him. Like how one time he was really sunburned but he didn't want to miss the fishing trip with my dad and brother-in-laws, so he cut two eye-holes in a pillowcase and wore it over his head -- and spent the day looking like a fishing Klansman.

We laughed, we cried. It was truly personal and satisfying for us.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Yes, I think it is best to get rid of the minister all together or at least limit that role to just being a master of ceremonies to introduce others. The funeral should be a time for people to tell the stories and remember the past. The people who shared in the experiences should be the ones to do the telling.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger george said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger george said...

I'm sorry about your uncle, too; he sounds like a cool guy.

The priest at my father's funeral didn't know my father at all; he never went to Mass. But the priest had plenty to say, none of it true.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger kc said...

God, what a travesty, George. Yes, this dude also carried on as if Fay were a real religious guy and regarded the Lord as his shepherd, etc., when in fact he NEVER went to church and didn't have a religious bone in his body (that I'm aware of). He probably thought that when he died he would just cease to exist and that would be that, except for the memories people had of him. And he was probably totally OK with that.

But, honestly, it wasn't the religion I minded. Religion can be very comforting, and I respect true believers. It's the hypocrisy and indifference to who someone REALLY was that bothers me.

Not to use a profane example, but it's like on the L-Word when the tennis player died and the minister was prattling on about how she would have been a good wife and mother but never got the chance, until one of her outraged friends stood up and said, "Dana was GAY."

"a fishing Klansman," Erin ... hehe ... that's what I'm talking about! Superb.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother -- an amazing jokester of a woman who could always find a reason to laugh -- died on April 13, and her funeral was held two days later -- on April 15. My sister and I insisted that the minister (who, fortunately, knew my mother well) say something about death and taxes both being unavoidable. My mother's funeral was both horribly sad and a celebration of her joyous and happy life. That's how mine will be if I have anything to say about it.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger kc said...

Sharon, that's awesome! She must have been pretty young?

My grandma's wake, which was horribly sad (she was the matriarch of my dad's big family) was on my birthday, and when we got back to her house after the service there was a big birthday cake waiting for me. It was totally unexpected and weird, but then I found out that she had reminded someone not to forget my birthday while she was busy dying, so it felt like a present from her.

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Wow, that's so sweet. What a fantastic thing to remember each birthday.

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Tetélestai
by Conrad Aiken

I



How shall we praise the magnificence of the dead,

The great man humbled, the haughty brought to dust?

Is there a horn we should not blow as proudly

For the meanest of us all, who creeps his days,

Guarding his heart from blows, to die obscurely?

I am no king, have laid no kingdoms waste,

Taken no princes captive, led no triumphs

Of weeping women through long walls of trumpets;

Say rather, I am no one, or an atom;

Say rather, two great gods, in a vault of starlight,

Play ponderingly at chess, and at the game's end

One of the pieces, shaken, falls to the floor

And runs to the darkest corner; and that piece

Forgotten there, left motionless, is I. . .

Say that I have no name, no gifts, no power,

Am only one of millions, mostly silent;

One who came with eyes and hands and a heart,

Looked on beauty, and loved it, and then left it.

Say that the fates of time and space obscured me,

Led me a thousand ways to pain, bemused me,

Wrapped me in ugliness; and like great spiders

Dispatched me at their leisure. . .Well, what then?

Should I not hear, as I lie down in dust,

The horns of glory blowing above my burial?



II



Morning and evening opened and closed above me:

Houses were built above me; trees let fall

Yellowing leaves upon me, hands of ghosts;

Rain has showered its arrows of silver upon me

Seeking my heart; winds have roared and tossed me;

Music in long blue waves of sound has borne me

A helpless weed to shores of unthought silence;

Time, above me, within me, crashed its gongs

Of terrible warning, sifting the dust of death;

And here I lie. Blow now your horns of glory

Harshly over my flesh, you trees, you waters!

You stars and suns, Canopus, Deneb, Rigel,

Let me, as I lie down, here in this dust,

Hear, far off, your whispered salutation!

Roar now above my decaying flesh, you winds,

Whirl out your earth-scents over this body, tell me

Of ferns and stagnant pools, wild roses, hillsides!

Anoint me, rain, let crash your silver arrows

On this hard flesh! I am the one who named you,

I lived in you, and now I die in you.

I your son, your daughter, treader of music,

Lie broken, conquered. . .Let me not fall in silence.



III



I, the restless one; the circler of circles;

Herdsman and roper of stars, who could not capture

The secret of self; I who was tyrant to weaklings,

Striker of children; destroyer of women; corrupter

Of innocent dreamers, and laugher at beauty; I,

Too easily brought to tears and weakness by music,

Baffled and broken by love, the helpless beholder

Of the war in my heart of desire with desire, the struggle

Of hatred with love, terror with hunger; I

Who laughed without knowing the cause of my laughter, who grew

Without wishing to grow, a servant to my own body;

Loved without reason the laughter and flesh of a woman,

Enduring such torments to find her! I who at last

Grow weaker, struggle more feebly, relent in my purpose,

Choose for my triumph an easier end, look backward

At earlier conquests; or, caught in the web, cry out

In a sudden and empty despair, 'Tetélestai!'

Pity me, now! I, who was arrogant, beg you!

Tell me, as I lie down, that I was courageous.

Blow horns of victory now, as I real and am vanquished.

Shatter the sky with trumpets above my grave.



IV



. . .Look! this flesh how it crumbles to dust and is blown!

These bones, how they grind in the granite of frost and are nothing!

This skull, how it yawns for a flicker of time in the darkness,

Yet laughs not and sees not! It is crushed by a hammer of sunlight,

And the hands are destroyed. . .Press down through the leaves of the jasmine,

Dig through the interlaced roots--nevermore will you find me;

I was no better than dust, yet you cannot replace me. . .

Take the soft dust in your hand--does it stir: does it sing?

Has it lips and a heart? Does it open its eyes to the sun?

Does it run, does it dream, does it burn with a secret, or tremble

In terror of death? Or ache with tremendous decisions?. . .

Listen!. . .It says: 'I lean by the river. The willows

Are yellowed with bud. White clouds roar up from the south

And darken the ripples; but they cannot darken my heart,

Nor the face like a star in my heart!. . .Rain falls on the water

And pelts it, and rings it with silver. The willow trees glisten,

The sparrows chirp under the eaves; but the face in my heart

Is a secret of music. . .I wait in the rain and am silent.'

Listen again!. . .It says: 'I have worked, I am tired,

The pencil dulls in my hand: I see through the window

Walls upon walls of windows with faces behind them,

Smoke floating up to the sky, an ascension of sea-gulls.

I am tired. I have struggled in vain, my decision was fruitless,

Why then do I wait? with darkness, so easy, at hand!. . .

But tomorrow, perhaps. . .I will wait and endure till tomorrow!'. . .

Or again: 'It is dark. The decision is made. I am vanquished

By terror of life. The walls mount slowly about me

In coldness. I had not the courage. I was forsaken.

I cried out, was answered by silence. . .Tetélestai!. . .'



V



Hear how it babbles!--Blow the dust out of your hand,

With its voices and visions, tread on it, forget it, turn homeward

With dreams in your brain. . .This, then, is the humble, the nameless,--

The lover, the husband and father, the struggler with shadows,

The one who went down under shoutings of chaos, the weakling

Who cried his 'forsaken!' like Christ on the darkening hilltop!. . .

This, then, is the one who implores, as he dwindles to silence,

A fanfare of glory. . .And which of us dares to deny him?

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Sorry for the long poem. This is just to say (hehehe) should I die you know, soon-ish, please make sure someone memorizes this poem and speaks it, from memory, over my dead body, while some other people listen and then let me be cremated and forgotten right away.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger cl said...

WHAT! They killed the tennis player on "The L Word"?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger kc said...

They didn't kill her. She died of breast cancer. And quite a death it was. I can't believe you missed that episode, cl!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger kc said...

That's a great poem, Beth. I'm really stupid because I thought Conrad Aiken was someone else entirely. But I looked him up just now and saw that he's not the Western writer I thought he was — that's Conrad Richter! — and I see that Aiken went to Harvard with T.S. Eliot (mkaes sense, given that poem) and that his dad killed his mom when he was 11.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger cl said...

I've seen a few episodes ... the Captain Stubing role-playing scene being one of the funniest things I've seen on television.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger kc said...

What?! You saw that episode? That made me embarrassed to be gay, but now I think I was overreacting. It was comical. I wish the L-Word were a better production. It has such potential, which it generally squanders on stereotypes and goofy politics, etc.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger cl said...

Oh, I didn't think it perpetuated any stereotypes ... that would have been a hilarious man-woman storyline, too. Those two actors, though, made it work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home