Sunday, June 11, 2006

PARDON ME A MOMENT

This is a letter to all the jackasses in the world who inflict their whistling on the rest of humanity.

Dear Jackasses:

Perhaps no one has mentioned this, or perhaps you're too much of a jackass to care, but no one enjoys those shrill sounds you make by forcing air through your puckered lips. You are not adding brightness or joy to the world. You are being annoying. You are not filling our shared space with the sound of music, like the lovely Julie Andrews; you are filling it with noisy distraction, like your annoying self.

Why do you think it's OK to whistle wherever you go? You wouldn't walk into some quiet place and break into a show tune or start jabbering loudly, would you? So why do you think it's all right to form your mouth into a sphincter and make like a bird? Is it just a habit you can't shake, like spitting on the sidewalk or eating your boogers, which I'm sure you also do. Or is it just to fill your empty head with sound? Or is it to announce your presence in case some poor soul hasn't noticed you?

How about this? Try entering a room without whistling your arrival to everyone. Like most human beings, you occupy several square feet of space and move around and breathe and speak and whatnot. You are visible. We will notice you. You don't need to sing like a canary. If you want to make sure your presence doesn't go unnoticed, a simple "hello" will do.

And you especially — the cocky son of a bitch at the university who can't walk through the building without whistling — you're about to get your motherfucking throat ripped out. We'll see how chirpy you feel after I wrestle you to the ground and strangle you with your Goddamn windpipe. You think I'm being extreme. You think the situation can be handled with politeness and civility. But you people don't understand politeness and civility; that's why you whistle in public! Because you don't recognize the right of other people to peaceful coexistence. You are so cocooned in your own chirpy self-regard and vanity that it's impossible to get through to you by any means short of abusive threats or actual physical violence. If I were to politely say to you, "Hey, would you mind? I'm trying to concentrate here," you'd act like I was a killjoy trying to deprive the world of music. You'd go around the corner and say, "What's up her ass?"

I'll tell you what's up my ass, music man. The other day I was sitting in the reading room about 7 a.m., writing a memo, enjoying a very quiet, scholarly atmosphere when you strut in like a banty rooster and figure it'd be a good time to whistle "Oklahoma!" I think it was "Oklahoma!" You weren't that good, though, so I couldn't be sure. You're the same jackass who walks down the hall whistling while my class is in session. Everyone has to turn toward the hall and look. That's annoying enough, but at least it's in passing. The other morning, though, you just endlessly puttered around the room whistling louder and louder as if I weren't 10 feet from you trying to focus. This is the reading room, jackass. The whistling room is somewhere else, like maybe at your house. Try that.

Honestly. Are you totally oblivious? Does it not occur to you that someone hovering over a keyboard in a reading room might be trying to string two thoughts together, might be trying to apply her mind to something for which musical accompaniment is not only unnecessary but is downright unwelcome? Has that never occurred to you?

And that was not an isolated incident. Every time I see you, you're whistling. I can hear you in the hall, coming up the stairs, all throughout the building. In my dreams at night.

And you're not the only one. There is at least one whistler everywhere I am compelled to be. There's no escape.

And part of the reason there's no escape is that you whistlers tend to be old "distinguished" types and not just some kid I can tell to shut the hell up.

I have noticed that most whistlers are men of a certain age — men who grew up in a world where men did whatever they wanted, where they were the head and center of the family, where they made all the decisions, where they got the biggest pork chop at dinner, where their wives greeted them at the end of the working day like they were fucking royalty, where sex ended with their orgasm, where they thrust their presence onto everything, without much regard for the existence of other people, where they bossed everyone around, where every room was just a stage for their whistling performances. (I could go on, but I'll stop before I overgeneralize.)

Indeed, there would be consequences for telling you to shut up. So I won't risk it in person.

But if you happen to read this, jackass, unless you can blow as well as the four dudes below, and maybe even then, do the world a favor and shut the fuck up.

Sincerely,
KC

26 Comments:

At 2:40 AM, Blogger george said...

OMG, that is awesome! If I ever whistled in you presence, I apologize (I'm pretty sure I haven't; I'm a terrible whistler and I can't carry a tune no matter what).

Excellent photos, also. With the exception of the Fab Four, the others look like they're readying for fellatio. Coincidence?

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger kc said...

Thanks, George. I was probably too soft on them, but when you have a gentle, easy-going nature like mine, it's hard to be forceful.

Preparing for fellatio? Now that you mention it — and, dear, I do hope you won't mention it again — Paul looks like he just finished with fellatio.

Beatles fans can add that to their body of "Paul always stands out" evidence. Or was it "Paul is dead"? You know, all that hocus-pocus analysis of the Abbey Road cover where Paul is barefoot and whatnot.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Ooh, who's the whistler at KU?

I have been known to whistle on occasion. Usually while cooking. Usually the Sesame Street theme.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Like at the end of "Strawberry Fields," where it sounds like someone sings, "I buried Paul," but on the digitally remastered CD, it's clearly "cranberry sauce."

There's a theatre prof who whistles whenever he walks through the halls at Murphy. And he never whistles a tune. It's always just random notes.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger cl said...

Daaaaaamn!

Do you remember that intern who whistled? No, wait. He hummed. I found it kind of soothing, actually. But he was discreet about humming. Some tuneless little ditty.

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Yes! The humming intern. Wasn't that the same guy who messed with the copy machine for half an hour every night?

KC, remember that bank commercial they used to play during KU games that played a whistled "Home on the Range"? And every time that came on, you would say, "OK, who is doing that?"

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger george said...

"OK, who is doing that?"

Oh, that totally sounds like something kc would do.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, I sent you a classified e-mail containing the name of the whistler. (No one else really knows him, so you all won't feel deprived without the identity)

Whistling while cooking is not bad. I trust you wouldn't do it while someone was trying to concentrate right next to you.

Ben, did your whistling prof annoy you, or was that just a neutral observation?

Yes, the humming intern was also the copy-machine maniac. I find humming to be annoying also, but in a more superficial, manageable way. It's not the profound intrusion into one's thought processes that whistling is.

Someone might have mentioned earlier that the whistling was coming from the TV. Thanks.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I never spent any time around the theater professors, so I might not have even noticed him except that Loren Buntemeyer pointed out how much the whistling annoyed him. Even after Loren mentioned it, I only seemed to hear the whistling when Loren was around, so I just found it funny that Loren was so pissed off. He had been annoyed by it for decades.

And I'm guessing that whistling might be more annoying to blind people like Loren.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate whistlers and hummers with equal fervor, but neither bothers me quite as much as the coin jinglers, and I work closely with one. Get your freaking hands out of your freaking pockets and leave your freaking dimes and nickels alone!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I don't like humming, but I don't think I'd ever say "I hate hummers."

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps I should edit my vitriol to say that I only hate hummers when I'm editing. There. That's accurate. I work with one of those, too.(Maybe I'm a tad too sensitive to noise at work ...)

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naughty! How about hating Hummers?

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger kc said...

Good call, Sara. I hate Hummers.

Sharon, don't edit your vitriol. It's one of your best features. Hey, do you still have that "I hate Kim" memo you wrote when I worked there?

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Lovely rant!

I'm going to print this up on cards to hand out to the offenders. Do you want credit?

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger george said...

Sharon, if you do have it I'd like to see it.

 
At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even REMEMBER the I hate Kim memo, much less still have a copy. I was telling Mary this weekend that I don't really even remember what it was that I hated. Sad, how time takes away those things. Sigh ...

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger kc said...

The "I hate Kim" memo was written not so much on paper as in her eyes. Hehe.

The bad feelings went away one night in Dallas, when we finally spoke to each other.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger cl said...

I can take about everything but noisy gum-chewing. That just sends me to the moon. And, as you know, my beloved co-worker spent most of the four years we worked together working on a wad of nicotine gum.

Sometimes I thought I would lose my mind from not saying anything ... because how can you drive somebody back to smoking? Which is quieter?

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

I like whistling and humming.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger kc said...

What! I love wind in trees and water on mountains and babies doing anything. I just don't like cocky guys whistling in a designated quiet area while I'm trying to concentrate. That's all.

 
At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this. I came across this in a Google search of "I hate whistlers." I searched for that because I work with a man who whistles and hums CONSTANTLY and it drives me batty. I needed an outlet. The worst part of it is that he's a very nice guy, so I feel weird for wanting to slowly rip his limbs off and then shove them into his freaking whistle-hole.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thank you, Anonymous. I'm with you, pal.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whistling drives me RIGHT. UP. THE. WALL.

I have noticed that most whistlers are men of a certain age...

You too, eh? And I came to the exact same conclusion you did.

However, I've also encountered some whislers...usually they're corporate manager types, ex-jocks and ex-BMOCs, and therefore feeling fully entitled to stomp all over everyone else's peace and quiet, just like they did as students with idiotic loud music and pointless shouting.

(In general, though, most extraverts are absolutely clueless about how grating extraneous noise is on those of us who are introverted, especially when we need to concentrate.)

This is where I disagree, tho...

I love...babies doing anything.

I love babies when they STFU and sleep. As much as I hate whistlers, a whining, shrieking fleshloaf is ten times worse.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home