Thursday, May 10, 2007

CROWING POOPDUCKS GOT BACK


I should be able to tie up a few loose ends now that I'm done with the spring semester. There are "part twos" and "threes" of various posts hanging. I haven't forgotten.

But before that, I need to wrap up my supervisor training. The five-week course finished last week — culminating in a cheesetastic graduation ceremony — and while I'd be content to let the whole experience dissipate into thin air like a foul odor, a few things happened toward the end that are worth committing to paper.

The first is already the stuff of legend, so those of you who've heard tell can skip to the next.

• Each morning of the class began with what the instructor, in her homespun way, liked to call "crowing," a process by which you keep a positive spin on your outlook by sharing good things that have happened to you (vs. the incessant complaining that we humans typically treat each other to). I'm all for counting your blessings, of course, but the exercise has limited appeal among strangers. I mean, some people were crowing stuff like "I finally got my RV de-winterized; I'm happy about that" or "My daughter got a ride to school this morning so I could sleep 10 more minutes." I mean, even the Chief Encourager was having trouble working up excitement about this dull fare.

So she finally came up with a new strategy: Name one song that you identify with right now. The first guy up says, "Comfortably Numb." The Chief Encourager says, "What? Comfortably Dumb?" Snickers ensue. "Who sings that?" she asks. "I don't know it." More snickers, amid explanations. (The Chief Encourager has never heard of Pink Floyd). Up next, I say "Crazy" — not to make fun, but only because I was drawing a blank on all songs ever sung except the one that was playing in my car 10 minutes ago as I pulled up to the classroom. Nevertheless, more snickers. Dumb. Crazy. A theme in the making. What will the next girl say? All eyes are on her.

She's ready: "I'm gonna go with 'Baby Got Back.'"

"Baby got what?" the Chief Encourager asks.

"Back," the girl says, as if that explains everything.

"I don't know that one," the CE says, with a grandmotherly smile.

More snickers.

"I can sing it," the girl offers.

More snickers, mixed with disbelief.

The CE is obviously thrilled by this spirit of volunteerism, which has been sorely lacking up to now.

"You want to sing it? Sure. Go ahead!"

The girl straightens up in her chair, extends her elbows, does a rap-style rolling motion, then belts out:

I like big butts and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, wanna pull out your tough
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I wanna get wit'cha
And take your picture


Silence.

I turn to my co-worker, my mouth agape in disbelief, his agape in horror.

It's like someone farted in church. Out loud. On purpose.

The girl appears not to notice. The CE apparently has not understood a word, although her slightly perplexed face reveals a vague sense that the Precious Moments atmosphere of her classroom has been sullied.

The girl explains: "I like this song because it's about big butts and how it's OK to have a bigger butt — that not all girls have to be the same. I think it's a really positive message about women and diversity."

To keep from exploding, I release my pressure valve by calmly asking, "Who is it that sings that?"

"I don't know," the girl says, "some black guy."

• Speaking of songs: On one of the evaluations we had to fill out daily, I complained that a training video was overtly religious, which I considered to be inappropriate for a mandatory, work-related class. The video was about a guy and his severely disabled son who competed together in triathlons. The background song, played loudly throughout, was all about Jesus:

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all
I can only imagine


I had not complained about anything on the evaluations, because (1) I thought it would be a waste of ink; and (2) the evaluations were not anonymous— we HAD to sign them. I didn't want to stand out as a Negative Nelly, but I thought showing that video was so beyond the pale that I couldn't let it pass. So I simply wrote: "The Christian music video was not appropriate in this setting." Sure enough, the next class, the CE plops down beside me and says she "appreciated" my comment. I feel extremely awkward and say, "Well, the video would work without the sound. I think attaching the specifically Christian music to it needlessly limits the message." As I say this, I notice that she is wearing a large silver cross around her neck, and I remember what she said about her "faith" being so important to her (right up there with her sports car, which she talked about as though it was God's reward for being a "success"), and I think about all the little scroll-saw signs everywhere that say things like "Faith" and "Believe." She assures me that she found the same video but with a Bryan Adams song playing in the background. "That shouldn't bother anyone," she says, with a challenging smile. "Should it?" Clearly meaning: Even godless, pants-wearing women like yourself can't be offended by a harmless Canadian pop star, can they? I want to point out that the issue is not my being "offended" or overly sensitive or irreligious; the issue is the principle — well-regarded in most circles — that secular, professional settings should not be imbued with religious messages. But I realize that saying such a thing would only confirm in her a suspicion that I've suffered from too much "education," that I'm the classic product of God being "kicked out" of public schools.

• First the Lord. Then men. Then meat. I have indeed suffered loss at the hands of public education! But the CE took pity on me for the last one. She saw me eating a big plate of cheesy rice as everyone else was enjoying a chicken breast.

"You don't eat meat?" she says.

"No," I say, almost apologetically.

"Well, you should have said something."

"It's not a big deal," I say.

(I didn't reveal my vegetarian "lifestyle" for the same reason I didn't reveal my gay "lifestyle" every time she made assumptions that we were all married heterosexuals: I didn't want to seem too finicky.)

"We just never know how to plan because some of them don't even eat eggs or dairy," she says.

Them? What happened to the touchy-feely we're-all-in-this-together spiel?

The next class, she pulls me aside and tells me that the convicted-murderer-turned-caterer has made me an egg-salad sandwich for lunch. With cheese.

• On the last day of class, the CE was talking about "negative" and "toxic" people and how we should limit our interactions with such types because they tend to "awfulize everything." (Verbizing nouns and adjectives is really smiled upon in the self-help community). Such people inject their problems into every situation and conversation and end up sucking all the life and joy out of everyone around them. The way she advised reacting to this situation was really profound. She said: "Avoid poopducks like the plague."

When I get a scroll saw, that's the first saying I'm going to carve. And I'm going to hang it above my door.

17 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger cl said...

Oh, I could find Bryan Adams offensive.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger cl said...

I wonder whether the company is playing a trick on everyone, and this training was secretly recorded for a reality show, a take on "The Office." Because it would be a hit

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger kc said...

I know! Good grief. I would rather recite the 10 Commandments in school than be forced to sing a Bryan Adams song. The latter is a full-frontal assault on taste and decency.

I also wondered if this whole thing was a trick, like if the ones who didn't have the cajones to object to the insanity were going to be dismissed as groveling slugs who clearly did not belong in supervisory positions.

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. Were you looking around for hidden cameras? Does the company think they're getting value for the money they spend sending their supervisors for training?

The most outrageous part is the girl knowing all the words to "Baby Got Back" without knowing the performer is Sir Mix-a-Lot.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger kc said...

Indeed, Sara! (Even I knew it was Sir someone when I asked her). And that someone who professed to value diversity could say something like "some black guy"!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Erin said...

We heard a barbershop quartet sing that Jesus song once. Remember that? And I think everyone is in agreement about Bryan Adams. I'm sure he's right up the CE's alley, though.

Anyone who thinks "Baby Got Back" has a really positive message about women needs a long cultural detox.

Groveling slugs are smiled upon as leaders, right?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger kc said...

Oh yeah. I forgot about the barbershop quartet singing that. Apparently it's some sort of Christian radio "crossover" hit.

Anyone who thinks "Baby Got Back" has a really positive message about women needs a long cultural detox.

Well said, dear. Well said. That song is for fetishists, not feminists.

Good point about the groveling slugs, too. Hehe

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger rev amy said...

wow.
wow.
I didn't think it could get any weirder than your previous posts. But it really did.

Apparently it's some sort of Christian radio "crossover" hit

It also seems to have a cheesy enough message that it is good for any emotionally evocative situation. The summer it came out I had to endure it as a solo at 3 wedding ceremonies in a row. I kept wondering...what does a song about encountering Jesus after death have to do with taking marriage vows?

Now I add, what does it have to do with triathlons? Or paralyzed children?

kc, thanks for enduring. Your torture has become our reading pleasure.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thanks, AEL.

Oh my gosh, I never considered the torture of having to endure that song repeatedly. You're right, it's used unthinkingly and inappropriately for ANY emotionally evocative situation. It really cheapens anything it touches, if you ask me. And it definitely cheapens the religious sentiments it is supposed to convey.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ooh, I would think that having to endure songs like that would be one of the major drawbacks of the ministry.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Endure? That's harsh. Did you really think it was that bad? The song made me think.

Interesting post.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall we start a pool on how many minutes into my niece's Southern Baptist wedding in August the song will appear?

(Although the winner might not ever be known, because I'm not sure Mary is going to let us go to a wedding at a Southern Baptist church.)

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger kc said...

You better not attend a Southern Baptist wedding! I don't think you should attend a wedding at all until you and I are able to legally wed. Not you and I together, but you know what I mean. (I know it's not feasible to not go, but damn it's hard to swallow).

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, at the moment, we're not going. We have leaned closer to going recently, such as when we saw the happy couple on Mother's Day and started thinking about how our political statement shouldn't affect their day, but we think it would be better not to go than to go and get up and walk out when they start that "one-man, one-woman" shit, and you KNOW they will.

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger kc said...

Agreed. It would be rude to be disruptive.

How is she your niece?

And what's the status of your lawsuit to get married? Haven't heard anything on that front lately.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Gosh! I forget to check your blog for a day and you've got this great post with 15 comments on it!

I'm selfishly glad that you had to go through the training so that you could tell us about it. You're a great storyteller!

Good job of mentioning the song. I would have felt personally offended by it, but I probably wouldn't have said anything.

Is "crowing" anything like "eating crow?"

Didn't Erin and I "sing" "Baby Got Back" for you once, to prove that we knew all the lyrics?

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I can be a real poopduck. Please don't avoid me because of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home