Tuesday, December 23, 2008

FORBIDDEN FRUIT


Is there something wrong with eating fruit from Chile? I mean, aside from it offending the eat-locally-and-seasonally types and encouraging bad agricultural policies and wasting fuel and promoting unfair labor practices? I sure hope not because I was beside myself with glee when — tonight! in December! — I saw bags of bing cherries heaped in the produce aisle at Checkers. Wow. My absolute binge food. I can eat a shocking amount of these in no time. And for $3.48 a pound. They must suck, I thought. But no. I sneaked one, as I always do with cherries and grapes to avoid getting a sour bunch, and it was fantastic. Wine-dark, plump and sweet, with just the right amount of tang. Tonight! In December!

But, seriously, if anyone can tell me that's it really bad to eat them, I'll think long and hard about that after I consume the remaining pound in my fridge.

Shouldn't an extreme amount of happiness in my tummy offset at least a little bit of evil?

If you say no to that, OK, maybe you're right, but read this fascinating piece from the New York Times next time you're tempted to eat a banana, Mr. Greenjeans. Here's an excerpt:

That bananas have long been the cheapest fruit at the grocery store is astonishing. They’re grown thousands of miles away, they must be transported in cooled containers and even then they survive no more than two weeks after they’re cut off the tree. Apples, in contrast, are typically grown within a few hundred miles of the store and keep for months in a basket out in the garage. Yet apples traditionally have cost at least twice as much per pound as bananas.

Americans eat as many bananas as apples and oranges combined, which is especially amazing when you consider that not so long ago, bananas were virtually unknown here. They became a staple only after the men who in the late 19th century founded the United Fruit Company (today’s Chiquita) figured out how to get bananas to American tables quickly — by clearing rainforest in Latin America, building railroads and communication networks and inventing refrigeration techniques to control ripening. The banana barons also marketed their product in ways that had never occurred to farmers or grocers before, by offering discount coupons, writing jingles and placing bananas in schoolbooks and on picture postcards. They even hired doctors to convince mothers that bananas were good for children.

8 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Ben said...

They didn't even mention how they murdered people to keep the prices down? (That's something I heard on a radio documentary about bananas and their bloody history.)

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger cl said...

Since I dislike bananas, this will fit nicely into my versatile food ethics policy. Thanks!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger kc said...

Ben, if you click on the full article, it talks about how workers were shot down.

Cl, you don't like bananas?! I didn't know that! That is good info to have, as I look for ways to incorporate bananas into recipes.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger cl said...

I don't like to just peel and eat once. They don't bother me in cooking. In fact, my aunt's banana nut bread was the only thing I could eat Thursday and Friday.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger cl said...

It's a smell and textural thing. They give me the jeebies.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger kc said...

Wow, cl! Check out this definition from Merriam-Webster.

1 : an elongated usually tapering tropical fruit with soft jeebie-producing flesh enclosed in a soft usually yellow rind

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger cl said...

Wow.

"soft jeebie-producing flesh enclosed in a soft usually yellow rind"

I'm a little light-headed right now.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger cl said...

My new BA has an article on 50 ways to eat more green. Greenly? Whatever. Anyway, it had some tips I hadn't seen before. I will make a copy of it if you like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home