Monday, July 24, 2006

AMERICAN HERITAGE



Sometimes at work I get lost in my dictionary. I'll be looking up shish kebab to see whether it's one word or two, then I'll notice that shitfaced is in the dictionary. It's just three words down from shish kebab, which can also be spelled shish kabob. First there's shit, then shit-eating grin, then shitfaced, then, in case you're curious, shitkicker, shit list, shitload.

After that there's shittah, which I thought was maybe slang like niggah, but it's actually a tree mentioned in the Bible, now called an Asiatic acacia.

That's all the shit words in my dictionary, unless you count shittim, the wood of the shittah, which was used to make the Ark of the Covenant.

No shit.

Last night I needed to look up the phrase Homeric laughter, which means loud, unrestrained laughter (Does everyone know that? I'd never heard that), and I came across homoecious, relating to parasites that spend their whole lives on one host, like Bert and Ernie, and homological. I can’t wait to use homological. Like some straight person will be blathering on about something that straight people blather on about, and I’ll interrupt and say, “Well, that’s all well and good, but it’s hardly homological.”

Anyway, I look up a word, and before you know it I’ve squandered like 20 minutes nosing around in the dictionary. This is a vice I’d like to see my students pick up, especially since, despite my best efforts, I can't sell them on smoking.

After "don't ask me," the three words most commonly heard in my classroom are "look it up." For some reason, my students think I'm a dictionary — and a whorish one at that; they think they can just say the word and I'll open up.

Well, I am easy, but I have my pride. If you want me to treat you nice, you have to show me that you care. You can't just use me for your purposes, then immediately forget what salacious means — not even care that it comes from the Latin salire, meaning to jump.

Like they'll be editing a story about "sundry race cars lining the track," and they'll pepper me with questions: What does sundry mean? Is that supposed to be Sunday? Should we just say many? Is race car one word or two?

That pocket dictionary they're required to have might as well be a big pile of dog shittah, because they don’t go anywhere near it.

After I say "look it up" a thousand times, some of them catch on that the POINT of the class is for them to become editors. And editors don't sit around a newsroom asking other editors how to spell. Editors do it alone. (Note to self: Trademark phrase/have printed on T-shirts for next semester).

Some of my students do discover the magic of their dictionary. They eventually get the notion that it's the tangible sum of our whole beautiful language. They understand its authority. They undergo their own little Protestant Reformation and discover that they don't need a priest to make sense of the Bible; they can do it themselves, with their dictionary.

When I was in fourth or fifth grade, my grandpa bought me a giant red American Heritage dictionary with little illustrations and speckled end paper. I think my mom was tired of me asking her what this meant and what that meant all the time, and our minuscule paperback dictionary wasn't up to the job. She must have mentioned to her dad, who owned some office supply stores in Wisconsin (stay tuned for a separate post), that a dictionary would be a good Christmas present for me. And it was. It was the best ever. I remember spending hours lying on the shag carpet, paging through that huge book, reading definitions and looking at illustrations and smelling the delicious scent of all that crisp, tissue-thin new paper. And oh, the dictionary was MINE; if someone in the house needed to know what something meant, they had to come to me.

Years later, in college, I read Malcolm X's autobiography, a great book that Spike Lee made a horrible mockery of in his highly touted but idiotic film "X." Will someone please make a movie about the great Malcolm X that is not a load of shittah? Anyway, I was floored when I came to the part in his autobiography where he talks about being in prison, how he was just a run-of-the-mill, uneducated black man sitting behind bars — nothing in his past but crime and time wasted on materialistic pursuits: fancy cars, loud suits, gambling, loose women, shiny things. And nothing in his future but more of the same. He decides he has to educate himself. And he does as a grown man what I did as a little kid: He starts reading the dictionary. Only he really reads it, from A to Z. Every word. Years later the word aardvark would hold a special meaning for him because it was the first word in the prison's dictionary. It was the beginning of his education, his real life.

Samuel Johnson published “A Dictionary of the English Language” in the mid-18th century. Single-handedly. No wonder James Boswell spent a lifetime celebrating him. I mean, yeah, there was the infamous appetite, the whores, the wars, the adventures. Plenty to celebrate in his best pal’s life. But the dictionary stands apart. How can one dude write a dictionary?

And Johnson's dictionary was considered authoritative until the Oxford English Dictionary came along like 100 years later.

Rick had a copy of the O.E.D. Not the 20-volume set, but an abridged version. It was awesome. I want one for Christmas.

I have bonded with a lot of people over words. And with some of these people I have had words, if you know what I mean. Like my ex-girlfriend, a big Scrabble-freak who knows all the two-letter words in the dictionary, despite her charming inability to spell definitely and sundry other everyday words.

And of course all my copy editor friends: Is cock ring one word or two?

And my ex-husband, who referred affectionately to our dictionary as The Dic, which led me, wit that I am, to make allusions to The Pocket Dic (stay tuned for a separate, salacious post).

And my best friend Ben. Not long after we met we had a discussion in which the word prude came up, and I sent him the definition from my dictionary, which was "a person who is overly modest in dress or behavior, to the point of annoying others." I noted that "to the point of annoying others" should be appended to every definition in the dictionary. And he sent back some choice examples, such as murder: to kill unlawfully and with malice, to the point of annoying others.

If I have a kid, I'm going to put one of those huge, fat dictionaries on a stand in the middle of her room. And when she cries, "What do you mean I'm an 'irksome parasite sent by Jehovah to bedevil' you?" I'll scream, "LOOK IT UP!"

And if she's a kid worth having, she'll come out of her room and say: "Mom, did you know parasite is from the Greek parasitos, meaning one who eats at the table of another? I thought you might also be interested in paraselene, an illusion caused by moonlight passing through ice. And then — listen to this! — there's parapraxis, an action in which one's intention is not fully carried out, as in the mislaying of objects — like all those times you forgot to pick me up from school."

"Very good, darling,” I’ll say proudly. “Now go look up forgot."

40 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Excellent post. Of the highest or finest quality; exceptionally good of its kind. From the Latin excellere.

I remember being giddy as a high school senior when I received a beautiful American Heritage Dictionary for being a Kansas Honor Scholar. It's the best thing they could give to budding scholars.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger cl said...

Hee hee ... I remember calling Erin to look up "cock ring" for me. I was freelancing for the Pitch, of course.

Didn't I ask you whether "bitch-slapping" was hyphenated, too? Or I had some other hyphenation question that day.

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, thanks. I would have included our poignant discussion of the defintion of dingo, but it makes me look bad.

cl, bitch-slapping sounds familiar. I do remember that you once admitted being too lazy to look up burqa. Hehe

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger cl said...

Yes, in those hectic, post-9-11 days, I couldn't be bothered with "burqa."

I remember getting in trouble for talking in class during sixth grade, and my punishment was to copy a page of the dictionary. Seems at the time I thought it was odd for a teacher to link punishment to an important reference book.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger kc said...

Well, elementary school teachers are famous for punishments that lack panache: copy a page of the dictionary, write a sentence 1,000 times, stand out in the hall.

Brilliant.

Were I a sixth-grade teacher, I'd come up with something far more medieval. I'd put the pee back in punishment.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger george said...

Holy, shittah -- an outstanding post. The only weird word I encountered was when I interned at The Globe, and I was the only one who knew what a "crotch rocket" was. I had to ensure to them it was not something dirty.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, who was it at the paper who introduced wheelhouse into the copy desk lexicon? DR?

George, I know what a crotch rocket is! It's a motorcycle.

One time JT used the word buss in a headline, and I didn't know it meant kiss. There was no reason to not say kiss. But he made me feel like an ass for not knowing what it meant.

Also, cl, you got me thinking that all those sex terms are indeed tricky. A lot of them, it's hard to know whether they're one word or two, like all those "job" words.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Shame on you Cherry Kim.

That edition of the OED was not abridged. Why would I want an abridged OED? What it was was photo reduced. Remember how small the text was? Four pages of the dictionary appeared in their entirety on each page of the compact OED. The dictionary came in a case that had two slots for the books and a drawer on top that held a magnifying glass on the reasonable assumption that not everyone using the dictionary would have the eyesight of a ten-year-old.

For most of its history, the OED was printed from plates made in 1933. So the main volumes never changed and they issued supplements to try to keep up with our fast moving language. They also spent years having people type all the volumes into computers. So finally they were ready to have an electronic dictionary that was always up to date and open to the full force of modern search technology. Wonderful improvements, of course.

But they also had tens of thousands of grand old printing plates. They offered some for sale as mementos. I should have bought one. The rest were melted down.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

The sex terms are all just one word. It is the cut-to-the-chase ethic.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl, is there going to be a story in the JW tomorrow about butt-fucking?

DW, most heartfelt apologies. It completely slipped my mind that you had the compact edition. I just remembered that you didn't have 20 actual volumes. Sorry, sorry, friend. Of course you wouldn't have an abridged version. It would KICK ASS to have one of those printing plates.

I don't know what your OED says, DW, but my Webster's New World has hand job as two words. So much for your theory on the jobs.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger kc said...

Thanks for using blowjob in a sentence, cl. Very illuminating.

Well, if there's no story about butt-fucking in the JW I can only assume that you wanted to know for your personal correspondence. Unless, maybe, you're planning a special section on the practice: "Sodomy Today; The Progress Edition."

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger cl said...

I started thinking about dirty words, and butt-fucking came to mind, and I looked it up because the special section I'm actually working on is boring me to tears today.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger george said...

What?! The J-W won't do anal? What a gyp!

Oh, well. I'm planning about blogging about a sexual passage, but of a different kind.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Wheelhouse. Yeah. Who the hell was that? I've been gone too long. I don't even remember who DR is. Meanwhile, wheelhouse has become a personal favorite of mine.

I like the jobs as one word too, although of course I defer to the dic.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh, that DR. Duh.

I was thinking it was some young dude. Like a RR or a RK or one of your students.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Ben said...

When I was a kid, we had a Webster's Piece of Shit Collegiate Dictionary. It was an old edition, before they decided to do the intelligent thing and order definitions by how often they were used. They ordered them chronologically.

So I often missed points on English assignments in middle school and high school by using the first (archaic) definition.

And it led to me misunderstanding some important words. From fourth grade through high school, I thought "ass" meant penis. I still sometimes catch myself confusing the two. (Actually, I don't know whether it said ass meant penis, or whether I just didn't know what an anus was back in third or fourth grade.)

This comment is getting long, so I'll put my "ejaculated" story in another comment.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I've always liked British literature, even when I was in elementary and middle school. The chronological dictionary helped a lot with that. That's how I found out that "to ejaculate" means to exclaim suddenly or to interject.

One day in 8th grade choir, one of my classmates, Jeff E., was directing the choir. At one point, he knew everyone would forget that the next word was "God," so he yelled, "God!" Then we missed the word and the whole song fell apart.

Jeff said, "But I said the next word!"

So I thought it would be funny to say something like, "We thought you were just cursing." But it took me a second to come up with the right word. I was about to say, "We thought you were just gesticulating," when I realized that it was the wrong word, too.

So I shouted, "We thought you were just ejaculating." And the class roared with laughter. I thought to myself, "I didn't think it was that funny, and how do all these Philistines know what 'ejaculating' means?"

That wasn't the first time people had misunderstood me because I used a word in a funny way, so I looked up the word the second I had the opportunity, and I found the definition everyone else was thinking of.

The choir room was next to the office, and some faculty had been in there and were horrified by what they heard. I explained to them the next day what the mixup was, but they didn't believe me. They kept saying, "You're a smart boy, we know that you knew that."

And I said, "How am I supposed to know this when I've never in my life heard it before? And where did these other eighth graders hear it?"

They told me to write down what I had been thinking. So I wrote out the story of what had happened from my perspective, but in the third person. I don't know whether they believed me, but I wasn't punished and I never heard about it again.

And when I told my dad about it, all he said was, "Are you sure you didn't know what it meant?" (After I said yes, he probably said to himself, "Great! Then I'm doing my job.")

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger kc said...

"Actually, I don't know whether it said ass meant penis..."

I'm quite sure it didn't, friend, unless it was an even worse dictionary than you have described. Perhaps you associated anus with penis because of the "s" sound.

Speaking of, when guys say "get some ass" or "piece of ass," they don't actually mean ass do they? Aren't they really talking about some other part of the female anatomy? I've never been sure on that, although I suppose they are not all that picky regarding what they get a piece of.

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger kc said...

I love the word ejaculate as in to exclaim. It's too bad no one uses it in that sense anymore.

Did those so-called educators at your school even KNOW its original meaning? If so, they should have applauded your vocabulary.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger driftwood said...

Isn’t the only reason that the thought police types put up with Shakespeare being taught in schools is that the old bard’s slang has become so archaic nobody notices when he is making dirty jokes?

Since slang evolves by speech and not writing, written usage needs to pay very close attention to what is said. So you copy editors should get all your style books updated and take out those spaces and hyphens. I mean isn’t George Carlin a nationally recognized expert here? In an interview, he was asked what his favorite cuss word was. Without needing a pause for consideration, he said “motherfucker”. Four syllables, one word.

KC, I have shared your puzzlement over “ass”. The next time I hear a guy use that expression, I ask him what part he is really going for. But I think I heard that more when I was around drunk twenty-year-olds. Don’t hear it so much now or maybe it has fallen out of favor.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Ben said...

My naive understanding of that definition of ass:

"Get some ass" almost always refers to vaginal intercourse. This may be short for "get a piece of ass," where "piece of ass" just refers to a sexy female, since the ass is the sexy body part nearest where the business occurs.

"Tap that ass" often refers to vaginal intercourse, but is also often used for anal. The phrase is probably related to tapping a beer keg. When used for vaginal intercourse, I believe the phrase usually refers to a position where the male and female are facing the same direction, thus the vagina almost seems to be a part of the ass from the bird's eye view the male is getting.

Experts on the biological evolution of sexual attraction say that human female breasts may have evolved to mimic the look of the human female ass, thus explaining the strange connection between breasts and sex. For many men, the ass is the most sexually arousing part of the female anatomy while for many others it is breasts followed by the ass. That may help explain the phrase "piece of ass," and it may help explain all these phrases -- sexual attraction for some men seems to revolve around the ass, even if they do not engage in anal intercourse.

One other point. It seems to be a feature of the Black American dialect to use the word ass to refer to sex or the vagina. Anecdotal evidence suggests that doggie-style sex and anal intercourse are either more prevalent in black culture than white culture in America, or are simply talked about more freely. (In other words, I have heard many more black men talk about those topics than white men. But that's purely anecdotal evidence.)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Lilylou said...

I loved this post, but I am posting about an earlier post, which you might not see otherwise, not having a "recent posts" item-------I don't have one either, not wanting to spend the time figuring it out.

Hildred Cyr is a member of my Unitarian Universalist congregation out here on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound. She and I have some great conversations about justice issues in our small community as well as the larger world. I think she's great! And I'm glad you liked her too.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger cl said...

What's a wheelhouse? Am I going to be sorry I asked?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger george said...

Ben, apparently you didn't hang around many frat boys at KU.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl, I can't believe you asked that. LOOK IT UP!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger cl said...

My dictionary says: pilothouse.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Erin said...

OK, Christy:

Wheelhouse: area of expertise, a particular skill

"How can we get this hot girl to take her clothes off?"

"Ask Hugh Heffner, that's right in his wheelhouse."


Also, Ben, could we not be quite so graphic please?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Graphic? That wasn't graphic. I leave graphic to the pervs around here.

And you misspelled Hefner, silly.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger kc said...

Welcome, Ms. Kitty. I do like Hildred. She's fantastic. Please tell her hello for me, and tell her that I sent her a long, hand-written letter last week.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger cl said...

Oh! I thought it meant something dirty. Never mind.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Some climbing friends used to live on Whidbey Island—nice place.

I had a look at ms kitty’s blog. She has a post about a “viscous circle”. I’ll remember that term as it might come in handy.


I'll agree with Ben, too. Detail is important.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Wow, thirty-six comments!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Phyllis said...

Hi KC, I just looked you up and found your June post about Hildred Cyr your second grade teacher. I met her today and drove her to a meeting. She showed me your letter and I read it and cried! I adore that woman! I called her my "Auntie Mame"! I will post about her when I get her picture on my computer!! She is lovely.

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger kc said...

Yes, DW, I saw the "viscous circle," too. Very apt.

Phyllis, thank you. I love all the "five things" pictures on your Web Site. And "Auntie Mame" is the perfect nickname.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Today Erin and I drove by a sign that had the word "themself" on it.

So I told Erin about the time I tried looking up "themself" in the dictionary because I was trying to use it in a paper and my computer kept telling me it was spelled incorrectly.

She was only mildly amused by the story until I told her that it happened when I was in my fourth year of college. Then she ejaculated, "I thought that happened when you were in high school!"

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger kc said...

When I was in college, I thought unworried was a word. I thought that was how you said "I'm not worried."

I'm unworried. I don't know where I got that idea.

Then I put it in a headline one time and JT informed me that it was not a word.

I also thought the plural of roof was rooves.

(DW, I HAVE sent you e-mails. You didn't get? Send me your phone number in an e-mail, k)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Unworried. I get that. Like unconcerned. Too bad JT was the one to tell you.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Phyllis said...

I posted a picture of Hildred Cyr today.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger kc said...

Phyllis, thanks for the awesome picture! Her smile — warm, with a hint of mischief — hasn't changed. When you see her again, please tell her I'd love to hear from her.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

The weirdest thing is I have met this woman that I think you would ADORE, from the latin ad, to and orate, pray. But you two will never meet. This sucks because I just know you would be great together, I mean, you know, circumstances, possible bickering over taking trash out and washing dishes, aside. And neither of you can stand me which would be wonderful for you because she would have no complaints about letting you complain about me. Anyhow, it is so weird, I just feel like the two of you should be best of friends (and possibly more). And this blog just crystalized it for me. Many times I have been talking to her and thinking to myself, "Kim would love her." The other day she was babbling after karaoke at the bar (you would love her karaoke voice, it is unlike anything, forget karaoke it isn't really karaoke it is like 20 minutes of the "I'm so excited" scene from Cosi) and out came this spew of vocabulary. Anyway. It makes me sad that you live so far apart. I think you should come visit and meet her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home