Friday, July 07, 2006

WHAT'S THE POINT? IF YOU HAVE TO ASK...



I know, I know. It's the Men's World Cup Final that is Sunday, not the women's. But all things soccer remind me of Brandy Chastain celebrating after defeating China for the 1999 Women's World Cup. It's the greatest victory photo ever. That it was considered controversial because it showed her bra is laughable now. And it was laughable then. Shame on anyone who saw anything in it but a fantastic athlete with a brilliant, powerful body. Anyway, France and Italy meet on Sunday, and Rick, who has taken a late liking to the sport, as have I, had these reflections:

I never played any team sports. In gym class I never liked basketball, baseball and such. Chasing after balls was not my strong suit, and it seemed rather pointless at the time. I preferred gymnastics. And even better were the things we didn’t do in gym, like skiing or skateboarding.  There were no mountain bikes when I was a kid, but there should have been. I broke three bikes in the time it took to break one arm. I started climbing as a kid — long before I had a rope. It was simple good luck that I never fell off anything high enough to do me lasting harm.
 
I no longer think that team sports are pointless. Or, actually, they are pointless. They are pointless in very much the same way that my balance sports are pointless. They are chosen because they are hard to perform well: The attraction is in the unnecessary challenge. It just has to be an interesting challenge. Big professional team sports are pointless in another way as well. All societies when they achieve any surplus labor seem to promptly begin grandiose projects that are, at root, unnecessary. We no longer want to build pyramids or cathedrals, but, after all, these are now easy for us. Men on the moon were grand indeed, and not easy, but proved to be of passing interest. But we have big team sports. Their enduring success suggests that they are the ideal fulfillment of our own grand excesses. During the last NCAA men’s basketball tournament, I read several articles that claimed that office betting pools were causing this huge loss in productivity and costing the nation’s employers billions. But, hey, we can afford it.
 
The moral-improvement crowd might be offended at my glorifying the pointlessness of sport. Sports create leadership, self-esteem, role models, they will say. The British Empire was forged on the pitches of Eton. Hogwash. Did English sport go sour before the Empire went belly up? And really, what kind of role model is a twenty-something multimillionaire? Is that a realistic benchmark of success for today’s youth? That’s all so whatever.
 
I’ll stick with inspired pointlessness. But the inspired bit is important. For instance, baseball strikes me as an insipid sport. The only attraction I can imagine is that of the fan who loves to go around spouting endless sports trivia. If you don’t like statistics, then baseball becomes so much standing around to see if a guy can hit a ball with a stick. The swatting at the ball part isn’t so bad, but seems a poor return for all the preparation time. Cricket, if anything, is even worse. At least it seems to take even longer to play.
 
My two favorite team sports are very unlike each other even though they kind of have the same name. On the one hand we have soccer, which we should call football like the rest of the world does. There are three brilliant things about this game.  First, it is basically very simple and hardly even needs a ball to play. Everywhere in the world there are kids on the street playing pickup soccer. (Except in middle class America which prohibits pickup sports.) If the kids are too poor to have a ball, they will make one out of a wad of old clothes. The rules are simple and straightforward.  In no time at all, you can learn how this game is played. But the rules make the game very, very hard. Humans are good and versatile runners. Few other animals are good at both sprinting and long distance. We can run well almost by instinct. The inspired element of soccer is to hobble that great running instinct with the requirement that you kick the ball while you are running. Running and kicking are nothing like each other and need very different balance. Soccer players should be falling down all over the field from the mere effort of trying to do both. So dribbling, passing, and shooting are all hard. To that is added a not very large goal that is defended by a keeper who can use his or her hands. To score even a single goal against these obstacles is an amazing achievement. And a virtue of these low-scoring games is that you can never be sure that even a dominant team will win. They might fail to score: One to nothing upsets are not rare. The third great thing about soccer is that the players are left almost entirely to their own devices throughout the game. The field is large, the play stops only briefly, and substitutions are very limited. The coach’s role is to prepare the players for the game — once they are on the field, they have to play with only whatever skills and desires they brought with them that day.
 
American football couldn’t be more different. Although it is played at several levels, I think that it is the perfect sport for large professional franchises that can bring lots of money to the game. They need to. Played in this way, football is a stunningly complex sport. Like a military, there is a lot of “tail” for the “tooth.” The roster for a team is large, and unlike soccer, several different line-ups are fielded during a game. But the amazing bit is what goes into getting those men ready.
There are many ranks of support that you see on the sidelines, up in the “booth,” and even farther behind the scenes. A football play is an exacting bit of choreography with men spread across the field needing to act carefully in sync. It is a strange dance, though, where your “partner” is trying to get you to stumble. So the enduring tension of football is between trying to execute your plan as you designed it and reacting to your opponent’s reactions. This makes football perhaps the most strategic of team sports. These professional teams can develop and train their players to run hundreds of plays full of variation and misdirection. The stereotype of the dumb jock doesn’t apply. At the very least, these guys need excellent memories.
 
I never watched football until I started hanging out with some people who knew it.  You can see at a glance that it is complex, but getting some good explanations shows that it is deep. I learn more about the sport with every game I watch, and I still don’t think I know much. So much is there to see, though. The success of the sport depends upon television. Without it, the teams would never have built the revenue to run such large complex organizations. But being a big-money sport also means that they can pack the stadium with TV cameras and hire a crew of top professionals to put on a big show with high production values. There is little about the game that they cannot show you and from multiple angles and in close-up. If there are two armies contesting on the field with their long tails of supply and command, then there is another army to bring it all to you in your living room.  When a big play that is so improbable as to seem impossible happens, you get all the glorious details. Truly a sport for our age.

34 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger george said...

My affinity for soccer grew the same way my love of baseball did: I finally saw a game in person.

Football is a game that can be enjoyed in person, by watching on TV or listening on the radio. But I think soccer you have to be at the game to really appreciate it. After seeing the L.A. Galaxy in Carson, Calif., I can appreciate the game more when I watch on TV.

What makes soccer unique over football and basketball, at least in other countries, is that supporting your favorite team in person is more of an experience -- to root for your favorite team you have to know all the chants and songs. And I think it's too bad that when we're supposed to go to London, Arsenal will not be playing.

Good old Arsenal,
We're proud to say that name,
And while we sing this song,
We'll win the game.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger george said...

And for those of you wondering (and I know you are), it's only 57 more days until the Oklahoma Sooners officially begin their run for an eighth national championship.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger kc said...

I always liked playing soccer in gym class. I was pretty good at it. I had short legs and could run fast and was competitive. But girls didn't really play soccer as an extracurricular activity then, at least not in the Midwest. Boys didn't really either. The soccer explosion came a bit later.

My ex-girlfriend, Beth, gew up in New York and played competitive soccer her whole childhood. She played Division 1 soccer in college, and now she's a coach. So I learned to appreciate the game from her — a real soccer freak.

Like Rick, I enjoy the rarity of scoring in soccer. It's essentially a game of foreplay.

George, your enthusiasm for the Sooners has almost won me over. I have little loyalty to my alma mater. Your OU fetish is catching. And I look good in red. Let's tailgate together.

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger george said...

We so need to tailgate. I'll even buy you something red to wear.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger kc said...

We could get some red Aztec Secret and multitask while we grill veggie dogs and swill Red Stripe.

You could buy me a red tube top! And possibly some short shorts with writing on the ass. Maybe "Oklahoma!" (Oh wait, my ass is so tiny, I'd probably need something more like "OK!")

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger kc said...

Aaaggghhh! Those rule.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger kc said...

Wait. I'm doing some research, Boy. Do the Sooners really play in Gaylord Stadium and are their official colors crimson and CREAM? If so, I'm sold.

Also, I have been scrutinizing the roster. I like this tightend named Joe Jon Finley. And a linebacker named Demarrio Pleasant.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger george said...

Yup, the stadium's named after the same Gaylord who owns The Oklahoman, and whose name is on OU's Gaylord College of Journalism that gave me one of my degrees. And, yes, it's the crimson and cream.

And the football team has had much better names. We had the original Buster Rhymes, a running back in the '80s, as well as Elvis Peacock, Jimbo Elrod and Joe Don Looney.

And a couple years ago we had a linebacker named Gayron Allen.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger kc said...

Didn't you also have Hugh Jassel back in '95 or so?

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger george said...

Yeah, him and Heywood Jay Blomey from '92-'95.

They were on the wrestling team, though.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger driftwood said...

Arsenal, huh?

George did you like "Fever Pitch"? (The real one, of course.) I agree that the chants and songs are a cool part of soccer.

KC, you can be for KU basketball and OU football. Nobody could hold it against you if you bailed out on KU football.

I don't think we even had soccer in gym class. Perhaps I would have liked it if we had. I'd play it now except I've done too much damage to my knees and feet. Gotta save what's left for climbing.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger kc said...

We also played this version of soccer in junior high where we sat on those little scooters with four casters. Did anyone else do that? It seems very silly now. I think gym teachers were just always inventing variations on games based on the available equipment. We also had a version of dodgeball or "murder" with scooters.

I can't imagine being a gym teacher. Ugh.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger kc said...

Also, Italy or France?

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

Of the four semifinal teams, Italy and France are not the two I wanted to see in the last game. But since they made it, I’ll root for France. Doubt they will win though. It seems like the only side that can score against Italy is Italy.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger cl said...

I like sports, pointless or not, because they still celebrate the amazing things a trained human body can do ... a showcase of strength, speed, agility. And in the case of my beloved football, strategy and special teams can still undo a stronger and faster team.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger kc said...

cl, did you like football before going to K-State?

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger kc said...

DW, I am pulling for France, too.

(My favorite Onion headline, by the way, is from a World-War II era paper: "French give up after valiant 10-minute struggle." Hope that's not the case here. Hehe)

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger cl said...

Yes, I'm actually more of a Chiefs kid. My dad usually takes me to a game a year. (My mom doesn't like going when it's too hot or too cold.)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger george said...

DW, I could never find the real Fever Pitch, that is until I was at Brits a few weeks ago with kc. I guess when I move back I'll rent it (whenever that will be).

But I pull for Arsenal because of the book; they compare well with my favorite baseball team, the Red Sox, as Man. U. is the soccer version of the Yankees.

And no, I did not watch the American version of Fever Pitch. Jimmy Fallon would be bad enough on his acting merit, but he's actually a Yankees fan. Ugh.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

I sort of wish I could watch the English games on a regular basis. I sometimes try following them on the BBC, but I’d much rather see a game than hear or read about it. I suppose that there is some sort of satellite TV package we could get, but doing that is a bit much since what TV I watch is already mostly sports. My brother doesn’t even do cable, so we go to a sports bar for a lot of the Chief’s games. But lucky for us, Oakland has been doing poorly enough of late that their games don’t sell out and therefore are subject to the TV blackout. We sometimes get the Chiefs over the air then. Unless it is KC at Oakland.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger kc said...

Speaking of sports, aren't the Royals like the worst team ever? But this kid Ron at work just walked in with this Royals-type shirt, but instead of Royals it said "Loyal." And it turns out this kid, who doesn't seem like a sporto AT ALL — big tattooed literary dork, in fact — is a monster Royals fan. Goes to all the games, counts down to opening day, etc., remains optimistic through thick and then. Said he got this shirt at the Love Garden. Big hippie hangout. Go figure. Sports fans always surprise me. (like the image of Rick and his bro watching Chiefs at a sports bar is quite endearing)

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger george said...

You could argue that choosing to root for the Royals is an indicator of sports ignorance.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger george said...

The Sooners, by definition, do not suck! Even when they were losing in the '90s, they were just being neighborly to the rest of the Big 12.

And baseball fans are bi. While everyone will have a favorite team, which will be in the NL or AL, they'll have a secondary favorite team from the other league.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger george said...

OK, I admit that in an alternate universe, it would be possible.

But to compensate for OU being bad I better be Portia De Rossi's concubine in this alternate reality.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Ben said...

The only sport I like is baseball. The only team I root for is the Royals. The Royals are having a bad season, but they have won two-thirds of their last 21 games.

I still fantasize about becoming rich, buying the Royals, and "fixing" them.

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger kc said...

What a coincidence, Ben. I also have had a fantasy or two about the Royals. But in my fantasy they weren't neutered.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger george said...

OK, now that's just nuts.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger driftwood said...

So what did you all think of that game? I’m glad that France scored, but I wish it hadn’t been off of a dubious penalty kick. I figured Italy would win if it came to a shootout. The low point was surely Zidane getting himself evicted. Otherwise it was a good game.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger kc said...

I didn't watch, but I just read a couple of stories about it.

I don't like shooutouts. Seems like a crappy way to win or lose a game. That's how the U.S. women won in 1999.

What was with Zadine's headbutt? Was it as bad as the media's making it sound?

I enjoyed this detail from the AP story: "An impromptu Tarantella by the players followed as silver confetti fluttered around them."

Damn Italians!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger george said...

Yeah, the headbutt was bad -- not that it was harsh or violent, but a very stupid move by an experience player who should have known better to act like that on the world's biggest stage.

I was pulling for Italy, but I agree: shootouts suck. They should just play till they drop -- someone will score eventually.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Ben said...

There was a game today?

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I don't know. I was watching golf.

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger george said...

Yeah, the Royals got spanked by Toronto, 11-3.

The Canadian team winning, that's sort of like a French victory, right? DW and kc, you can take some consolation in that.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger driftwood said...

The headbutt was ugly and certainly without grace. Besides being a player who would have liked scored during the shootout, he had said that he is retiring. So perhaps he has bowed out in front of an audience of about a billion by getting red carded for a technical foul of unsportsmanlike conduct. Twenty years from now he will still get the question: Hey what ya do that heatbutt for? Wasn’t that stupid?

I don’t mind the shootouts that much. At least there is a drama to them. You could change the format and make it two on two and give the offense five seconds to shoot. But a change I would make would be to have the overtime period played with nine players to a side instead of eleven. This would increase the score during overtime and make it less likely that the game would remain tied.

There are probably soccer teams in Toronto that could beat the Royals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home