Tuesday, February 06, 2007

LOW ART



From my diary, on Jan. 17, 2007

I have finally given up.

No more "L-Word." Ever.

My relationship with this lame, lousy, lazy, lusterless and inexplicably long-running excuse for a television program is lost. I'm logging off, letting go.

Come 9 o'clock Sunday I'll be reading a book, not sitting in front of the TV hoping this week the show will miraculously redeem itself.

How many hours of my life have I wasted on this banal and bothersome show? And what has it given me besides an obsessive-compulsive disorder to describe things with a string of alliterative adjectives, in the style of its grating and grotesque theme song, which was evidently penned by some pubescent "poet"?

Girls in tight dresses
Who drag with mustaches
Chicks drivin' fast
Ingenues with long lashes
Women who long, love, lust
Women who give
This is the way
It’s the way that we live

Talking, laughing, loving, breathing,
fighting, fucking, crying, drinking,
riding, winning, losing, cheating,
kissing, thinking, dreaming.

This is the way
It’s the way that we live
It’s the way that we live
And love


Jesus Christ. I could have been spending those hours online trying to meet an actual "L-person." (I mean, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the "L" in the title stands for "lesbian," but I admit I can't be sure. The show is so subtle.)

Listen to me. Off on some tired tirade. I always tell my students to make their points with concrete details, not vague generalities. I can see why they ignore me; generalities are so much more satisfying. However, for the sake of not being a hypocrite, I should touch on some specifics.

This show is bad because:

1. It's not good.

OK, that's another generality. What isn't good about it? Let's see. The writing, for one. The sex, for two, and the acting, for three. When the show started a few years ago, I thought it was mediocre at best, but I stuck with it because (a) it's a lesbian show, which I'd like to support and (b) it was a nice break from the steady stream of STRAIGHT FARE EVERYFUCKINGWHERE. I'm not a heterophobe, but sometimes, especially when you live in Kansas, it's refreshing to see people like yourself (not that I'm like ANYONE on the "L-Word," except for the liking girls part, but that's a big part). I'm sure you heteros would agree if EVERYTHING around you were gay that it would be nice to see a show with a few straight people, even if it were something asinine like "Everybody Loves Raymond." And (c) the show had some interesting characters and situations, at least in the beginnning, that showed some promise. That went to hell when inexplicable TV-world things started happening, like when the unemployed blonde with no aptitude for filmmaking suddenly became a hip studio exec, or when the anorexic n'er-do-well got a hot job as a hairstylist at a trendy skateboard store, or when the rich heiress got cut off by mommy and had to apply for receptionist jobs. It's just crap.

2. It's a lifestyle commercial. Increasingly the show became about how the characters looked, what they were wearing, the houses they lived in, the cars they drove, the art they liked, the "product" in their hair. In a recent, especially shameful product placement, the fallen heiress comes home exhausted from her job search and pulls a bottle of Kahlua out of a bag. She doesn't drink it or anything; she just sets it conspicuously on the table, as if to say "Choosey femmes choose Kahlua." There's even an "L-Word" clothing line. I know, I know. This shit started with straight TV, but, fuck it, I expect better from family.

3. It starts with the goal of gay drama rather than good drama. They oughta be ashamed. They have a forum to make a high-profile, well-produced, revolutionary, one-of-a-kind show about gay women, and this is what they churn out? Lipstick lesbian fashion ads? Do they think the gayness redeems the lack of goodness? Or do they really think this is good? Why didn't the producers hire first-rate writers, "Sopranos"-caliber writers, "Six Feet Under"-caliber writers?

4. It employs every gay cliche in the book. All gay people go to bars every night. Bars and trendy coffee shops are the center of a gay person's world. Gay women mainly sit around talking about synonyms for the vulva and vagina. Gay people move from relationship to relationship; long-term mating is bound to fail. Gay people are principally concerned about appearance and style. Sometimes they talk about art or consumer choices, but mainly they are obsessed with relationships and scoring and gossiping about other gay people.

5. It wants to shock for the sake of shocking, even though it really isn't shocking at all; it's just stupid. It's not revolutionary to show a dildo or bondage gear or "obscene" art or role playing; what would be revolutionary is to show two women — to have at least two women out of this many-charactered menage — who love each other and provide for each other and have good sex without a suitcase full of penis substitutes.

6. It's not REALLY gay. Please. It's mere lesbian chic, especially with all these straight actresses doing guest spots. The show's slogan could be "We're here, we're not really queer, but we hope you buy a lot of shit from us."

From my diary, on Feb. 4, 2007:

Cybill Shepherd has really spiced up this show! I can't wait until next week. Amy's a big fan, too. Maybe if she's in town we can mix up some White Russians and watch it together.

35 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're absolutely right about the show. Mary and I don't have Showtime, so we rent it from Netflix and watch an entire season in about two weeks, then wait a year for the next season. It doesn't feel so much like we're wasting our lives on this drivel that way. But why do I keep watching? Because even appallingly bad lesbian depiction is better than I can get anywhere else. I applaud your courage; I'm just not ready to join you yet. :)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

I haven't seen this week's yet, but I agree with Sharon - I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I do wish, every time I sit down to watch the show, in my old jeans, sneakers and plain tshirt (which allows for only as much skin as my arms allow) that this week, it'll be different. This week, they'll show some new couple that actually loves each other and wants to have some other couple over for pork chops and a game of Boggle. And where are all of the butch lesbians? Maybe they don't exist in L.A.?

But I'll keep watching. And they know it. So they'll keep showing me the way that I should be living. Lord knows if they made an hour long drama about the way that I live, people would use it in place of Ambien.

Oh, and wasn't that game of basketball last week the most tedious 5 min. on television? Come on.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger cl said...

I have seen some of the first and second season of "The L Word," and at that point I liked the show. I liked most of the characters (except Jenny, beyond self-absorbed, and Tina ... blah.) Pam Grier was terrific and I especially like Erin Daniels and wherever her storylines were going.

I also thought they had some good romantic storylines (Bette-Tina among them) that weren't all about sex.

I'm disappointed to hear that they went off into so many unlikely tangents. I began to check out around the time Bette was separated from Tina during the latter's pregnancy, and that dumb heiress was mucking things up for Bette both personally and professionally. She was a heavy-handed villain and annoyed me with every scene. She made Tina look foolish for submitting to such a controlling relationship.

The show made me laugh a lot -- not risqué humor, just funny dialogue, and other parts brought tears to my eyes, like when Shayne and Jenny's male roommate was caught taping them. (Though I didn't like the message ... if there's a man in the picture, he must be violating the women in some way.)

I hated the theme song. I hated all of Jenny's storylines; what a pointless and annoying character. The Bette-Tina breakup was exhaustive and went on too long.

I guess I never expected it to represent the way lesbians actually live and think. A lot of dramas (that aren't crime procedurals) go astray in the same way. "The O.C." had ludicrous stories and lots of sex and cheating-sex, copious product and designer placement and fabulous jobs that nobody ever had to be at. (Hell, the kids never seemed to be at school.) But I wouldn't look at it and say, "All Americans have money," or, "Straight people fuck around a lot." Maybe the "The L Word" was just meant to be a "Melrose Place" for gays and lesbians. Pure escapism.

For some reason, I remembered an Entertainment Weekly about "The L Word" concentrating on fashion and style. Hopefully the link works here:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1060816,00.html

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger cl said...

Also, I thought Karina Lombard from the first season was riveting. I had a girl-crush on her.

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger kc said...

some new couple that actually loves each other and wants to have some other couple over for pork chops and a game of Boggle.

Oh my God, that is the cutest thing ever. Where have you been all my life, Rush? Except for the pork chop part (hehe).

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

Oh, but I do see cl's point - the lesbian melrose place. Sure, let me escape to a world that I never would inhabit. I totally get that - and appreciate it, too.

And I hate anything that Jenny does, too. She's an idiot. The only thing I have every liked was when she wouldn't catch the ball for fear of spilling her double latte during the aforementioned basketball game.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger kc said...

Sharon, what do you mean "courage"? I'm watching the drivel just like you. Didn't you read the end of the post? Maybe I should try your method of watching, though — get it over with all at once.

Good question, Amy about the butch lesbians. Do you think they're afraid to do it for ratings reasons? Everyone on TV has to look like a movie star bullshit. They do have the female-to-male character (Max), but even he looks like a movie star, and, as you pointed out, he still is very effeminate. Sometimes you see butch-looking women in the background at the bar, but I've noticed in recent episodes that even the background characters look more and more like Playboy bunny types. Not that real lesbians aren't good looking, but I don't think they tend to promote the Girls-Gone-Wild image that you see on this show. Real lesbians are way more attractive.

I thought the same thing about the basketball game! Tedious! But it was funny when Jenny was nursing the latte and taking a smoke break. Helena is super athletic — look at her physique; she even runs on the show — and we're supposed to believe she couldn't conduct herself on a basketball court? Please. It seemed like the whole point of that scene was to underline the fact that the L-Word women are so feminine that they are naturally totally inept at sport.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger kc said...

And now for Jenny (Mia Kirshner). Cl and Amy both hate her, and I can see their point. I really, really disliked her at first (self-absorbed is a great description), but I have to say she grew on me. I think she's the best actress on the show, and I think her character is fairly interesting. She has a no-bullshit kind of personality that I appreciate, like when she tells Max that she doesn't want to date him anymore because he identifies as a straight man and she identifies as "a lesbian who likes to fuck girls" and when she tells Tina before the basketball game that being a lesbian is not about "who you vote for, but who you fuck." I also thought her exchange with Alice about The New Yorker story was pretty funny, although I think Alice outwitted her in the end. I realized that the show was self-conscious about Jenny's self-absorption, and that redeemed her for me somewhat.

Cl, you had a girl crush on Marina? That's awesome. I found her rather scary and vampiric (oh wait, you would like that ...hehe)

I had a boy-crush (is that the right word?) on Tina for the first couple of seasons, but I have since realized the error of my ways.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger kc said...

And my serious question to all "L-Word" die-hards: How BAD would it have to get before you stopped watching? Is ANYTHING really better than nothing? I'm asking because I'm really curious where I myself would in fact draw the line.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Erin said...

I have only seen the show a couple of times, (I don't have Showtime), but I have to agree that it stinks. It is the lesbian "Melrose Place," but "Melrose Place" sucked and I stopped watching it. And I have to say that for all the obvious effort put into making the L-gals look hot, the sex was very unsexy.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger george said...

Mixed up white russian? Sounds like me.

I've never seen the show since I, too, don't have Showtime. So I don't know if it would be at the point you would stop watching, kc. But I will say that I have continued watching shows in the past not because I thought it was good, but because I wanted to help its ratings so there would be more shows like it produced.

Of course, now I know that not being in a Nielsen family, it did no good. The thing to do is write or sign online petitions to let them know you're watching. Then you don't have to sit through rubbish to get them to develop better shows.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger kc said...

George, you're Russian? Where did I get the idea that you were Polish? In any event, you'd be the perfect Nielsen kid!

You mean all I have to do to get a good lesbian TV show on the air is write a letter? Good grief. OK, I'll do that. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Now, what do I have to do to get a good lesbian?

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger kc said...

Erin, you said "L-gals." (hehe)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger george said...

It's a Polish name, but the family's Russian. A common misconception, especially by you. This the like the third time I've told you this.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger kc said...

The thing I hate about Russians is that they have no sense of humor. I think it's all the potatoes and vodka and Dostoyevsky.

In any case, that was a joke, you слабоумный!

(I have told this joke like three times, and you STILL don't think it's funny. Maybe you should start an online petition to stop me.)

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger george said...

Potatoes? That's you, Irish. We're about the borscht, so we need the beets.

And I'mm on my thrid shoot of vodkka, and is't stil not funnny. Tho typin g ist quiet hillarioos.

4th shot now..

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger amy rush said...

OK, I saw this week's episode tonight. I did laugh out loud when Jenny and Alice were "listening" to Monet. That was REALLY funny.

Maybe I'm warming up to the show. It's true, if you watch it and don't expect much, just some entertainment, it's all good.

AND, I'm extremely excited about Marlee Matlin being on the show. I've always thought that she was awesome and sign language really turns me on. So...that's enough for me to tune in - untill she finds her way out of the cast, somehow. I can't imagine that these famous straight actresses will want to hang out in L-world for very long.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger cl said...

What happened to the hot DJ Shayne was messing around with who also hooked up with Jenny? I thought she was just a pretty face, but I liked her better than I expected.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger cl said...

KC, were you going to mix that White Russian with some product-placed Kahlua?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger kc said...

Sign language turns me on

Oh my God. That's a new one. Is that why you took that sign language course?

Yeah, I really have no idea, but I'm guessing that's why the tennis player died and Marina went back to Italy and Carmen disappeared, etc. ... Straight actresses who wanted to get the trendy lesbian role on the resume but didn't want to get typecast. But Roseanna Arquette still shows up from time to time, and I think Pam Grier and Cybill
Shepherd and Marlee might stick around because they are all sort of known for not giving a shit what anyone thinks.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger kc said...

Oh, the hot DJ was Carmen. She's gone. Helena paid for this elaborate Canadian wedding between Shayne and Carmen, but Shayne left Carmen at the altar. And after that, Helena's mother cut off her allowance.

Cl, do you know about "the chart"? It's this retarded mechanism they use (maintained by Alice) to keep track of who has hooked up with whom. It's totally gross and sophomoric. Right now there's this character named Poppy or Papi or something like that who is this Latina Don Juan (or Donna Juana) who has slept with thousands of girls (more than Shayne) and she is supposed to have some sort of magical sex gift that makes her irresistible to women. There's a lot of competitive tension between her and Shayne now (mostyly on her part), which I'm guessing will unoriginally resolve itself in some boring sex marathon that's supposed to be super hot.

Good eye on the White Russian, hon.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh, "the chart" is appalling. Aren't these women supposed to be grown-ups?

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger kc said...

I wonder whether the chart and all the bed-hopping and bar-hopping are supposed to be a way of bucking the dreary notion (another stereotype) that lesbians, unlike gay men, are mainly lonely librarian types who mate for life and spend evenings at home with their cats in their earth-toned apartments.

I mean, I like that the show is trying to show that there's nothing wrong with women really valuing sex and seeking out partners and having a good time, but I can do without the "predatory male" tone that some of it is taking.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger cl said...

I'm surprised that gimmick is still around. Sounds like a lazy way to bring in a new character and have everybody aware of her sexual history.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Erin said...

That probably is the intent, and I like that idea. But there is a happy medium. You can have a rocking sex life without having to keep a tally like a seventh-grade boy.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger kc said...

That's the problem with the "L-Word": a few good ideas but poor execution. For all the external style it projects, it lacks the behind-the-scenes substance, beginning with a good script, that it really needs to be a true contribution to the culture.

George, bless your big Russian heart. You're the only man who's actually man enough to comment on the lesbian post. Just for that, I'm going to buy you a bottle of Crown and the DVD box set of the "L-Word." Happy spring break, G!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Gosh, I forget to check your blog for a day and here is this big-ass post with twenty-seven comments.

I have never seen the show. Maybe I should write a show, or a movie, or a novel. With your help, kc, I think I could do a good family story. And you know I would skip the cliches -- I don't even know them.

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger kc said...

I think I could do a good family story.

Do you mean family or FAMILY, hon?

Amy, you were asking me for reasons to move to KC. Here's one: There's a school for the deaf just 20 miles from here. Pack yo bags, sista!

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger george said...

Remember what I said before about the difference between me and a lesbian?

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger kc said...

Refresh my memory, Fyodor.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I’m not sure of the capitalization protocol, but I meant “family” as in the phrase “family bar.”

A phrase you explained to me less than a year ago.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger amy rush said...

That's true. Maybe I could go get yet another degree. Or at least join some clubs and meet a young Marlee.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger kc said...

Oh my God, are we even having this discussion? It's completely unlike us. (Did you acquire some sort of hand fetish while attending that perverse East Coast puppetry school?)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger amy rush said...

Hey, I don't know what YOU'RE thinking, but all I want is someone to make me some pork chops while I shake the Boggle cube for our next round and pour some more beers for the other loving couple we invited over.

And if she and I communicate using ASL, all the better. I think it's so beautiful. And yes, a bit like puppetry.

So there.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Wait -- you have a diary?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home