Sunday, December 28, 2008

EW


At trivia tonight, the guy at the table next to ours pulled out a string of dental floss and proceeded to extract the debris from between each and every tooth. Then he held the string out in front of him and examined the results. Not one of the eight people at his table said a word about what he was doing. I couldn't tell if they just didn't mind this nasty display or if they were simply too aghast to say anything. I don't know the guy, but I've deduced from comments he has made that he's surly and self-centered. He seems like the type of person who when asked to desist from a rude behavior would just intensify the behavior — someone eager to enhance the hostile nature of his relationship with the rest of the world. I have heard him belch loudly at trivia, and to the chorus of "oohs" and "yucks" that followed he made no excuse, except to belch louder the next time. A class act, in other words.

But here's the kicker. When I pointed out to my two trivia mates that he was flossing at the table, they both acted like it was no big deal. One of them shrugged and said, "If you gotta, you gotta." And the other echoed that sentiment. I was completely astounded.

I will grant that I can sometimes be finicky about behaviors that most people seem to find acceptable. For example, I've never been a fan of the toothpick-giveaway at some restaurants because I don't especially want to ride home in a car with a bunch of people who are picking their teeth. Teeth-picking is a private behavior in my book, like Q-tipping your ears or cutting your toenails, etc. But many people don't agree, and I can live with that. At least a toothpick, unlike dental floss, can be used relatively discreetly.

But, seriously, can a reasonable, well-mannered (or even average-mannered) person think it's OK to floss your teeth at a table and hold up the results for everyone to see? Really? Have the virtues of flossing been so successfully marketed that people think it's an acceptable personal hygiene to perform in public?

3 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger cl said...

I get the chills when people brush their hair at the table. Chills.

I think the culprit is the intellectual heavyweight of his team, so perhaps his behavior is condoned. His dark-haired friend in the blue soccer shirt has endeared himself to me a bit since confessing many weeks ago how nervous he was to co-host and how much time he spent on questions he feared Andy wouldn't like.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger kc said...

It's hair.

At the table.

Hair. And dandruff. And all that stuff.

I've seen women do it, for sure, but I think they are more likely to do it in the bathroom, not out of politeness so much as vanity — so they can gawk at themselves in a mirror. (Not saying that women are more vain than men, just ones with certain hairdos). The more common sight, in my experience, has been those old guys who sit down at a restaurant and pull out their pocket combs as they peruse the menu. Ew.

Yeah, that guy is definitely the brain on the team, more needed than liked perhaps. Smart + gross + self-centered + inconsiderate is a pretty formidable personality type.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Erin said...

Absolutely disgusting.

I watched a woman at lunch the other day brush her long hair and then braid it at the table. Barf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home